Does Amarok play audio cds?

I cannot find an item to play a cd. It will choose a file from one from the play menu item but then it wants to copy the whole thing to the hard drive first which takes a long time. In Kde 3 it did that as well if you tried to play a single song that way, but in the file menu there was an item to allow you to choose the device and then it came up with a playlist which you could then use to choose any song from the cd which it would play immediately. It would be nice to be able to do that, and/or choose any item from the disk simply by clicking on it in the dialog or from a file browser and have it play immediately.

Does anybody know how to make Amarok play from a cd right away without copying to the hard drive first?

Shouldn’t you tell first and foremost what level of openSUSE you use? And I guess you use KDE, but that is not explicitly told by you.

I am able to play CDs in Amarok with the phonon vlc backend, but not the gstreamer backend. According to the phonon wiki, they recommend vlc as well:
Phonon - Amarok Wiki

Oh. 12.1 and Kde 4.72. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply about phonon. I’ll check into that. There was a similar situation in Kde 3 with gstreamer and xine.

Sure thing, let us know how you come out. BTW, phonon-xine is no longer being developed:
Phonon-Xine is dead. Long live Phonon-GStreamer. | wm161.net

I am able to play CDs in Amarok with the phonon vlc backend, but not the gstreamer backend. According to the phonon wiki, they recommend vlc as well:
Phonon - Amarok Wiki

Would you say this work flawlessly? I have been struggling with Amarok and audio cds since the start of KDE4. I manage to play song by song now on 12.1 but if I populate the play list with tracks from the cd it stops after one song. I have always regarded this as a AmaroK issue and not a phonon backend problem as AmroK have randomly, at least to some extent, worked and not worked with various upgrades regarding audio-cds. The AmaroK forum has several threads on this topic. However, I haven’t looked into this issue for a while and it would be nice if things have improved.

Thanks

Yes, for me it works prefect. With gstreamer backend I can see the tracks but Amarok won’t play them. With vlc backend everything works as it should.

OK, nice. I have always used the xine back-end which has worked far better for me than the gstreamer back-end. I read the link you provided and suppose I have to try out the vlc one, as it seems I have to swap xine for something else soon in any case.

Cheers

Cool, do let us know how you come out. I stumbled on the solution through trial and error, like most things.

Does anybody know how to make Amarok play from a cd right away without copying to the hard drive first?

It does play directly from a cd, I don’t recall it not doing.

Yes, with the phonon-vlc most features seems fine. If I populate the playlist with tracks from an audiocd, however, I have to tick the ‘replay album’ (possibly also replay playlist) option to have AmaroK continue down the playlist, I can’t cue tracks from the cd and the fade-out function does not work with this backend (at least not for me).

By the way, I installed the gstreamer backend also and did a quick test of all three, now only vlc worked. Xine used to work, I have used Audacious for audiocds for a while now now but I’m certain that it has worked on OS 12.1 earlier. I am a bit uncertain about Gstreamer, though, as there are several packages (modules) which I haven’t installed, and I did not engage in any pursuit to have Amarok/phonon work with gstreamer and audiocds, perhaps this might be possible?
Which backend do you use caf4926?

Thank you oboedad55!

NB
The last.fm scrobbler does not close when the last song on the playlist is a song from the cd, on the Last.fm site it just says: ‘currently playing xxxxx’, allthough nothing is really playing.

Which backend do you use caf4926?
Xine

Not all backends support the equalizer

Can you confirm that AmaroK plays audiocd with xine? I have just tried it on my system and it behaved like gstreamer, no output. Trying to start a track, it just stops immediately.

Funny
No it crashes Amarok

So I went back to gstreamer which was fine

:slight_smile:
Does gstreamer work?

Yes
But I have fluendo codecs