DKMS and Bumblebee not working after Overman79 updates applied

This just started happening to me yesterday and I spent some time today looking at it also. There was an x11-nvidia package update and a dkms-nvidia package update yesterday (both 325.15-1.1) that I applied after apper notified me of the updates. I also noticed that the packages were last modified yesterday in the Overman79 laptop repo. My dkms will not build the new nvidia module, rendering my bumblebee broken. I attempted to manually build the nvidia module in dkms using dkms build -m nvidia/325-15-1.1. I get a build error and the make.log for this attempt shows

DKMS make.log for nvidia-325.15-1.1 for kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop (x86_64)
Sat Aug 10 20:17:03 MDT 2013
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.16-obj/x86_64/desktop'
/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.16/scripts/Makefile.build:44: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/325.15-1.1/build/Makefile: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/325.15-1.1/build/Makefile'.  Stop.
make[2]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/325.15-1.1/build] Error 2
make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.16-obj/x86_64/desktop'

When I navigate to that dkms directory, it appears there is no Makefile. I would be happy to rollback to the previous drivers, but the Overman79 repo has them removed immediately when the new ones are available. It would be nice to leave the old packages up there in case any issues like these are observed. Anyhow, does anyone have any ideas on this or should I simply wait until a fix is in place? I am willing to reach out and attempt to help with the testing / fix of the new packages, but I’m not sure where to begin or how to get a hold of someone who might be able to look at a patch.

Based on the kernel you are using is the version openSUSE 12.3? If you are:

At the Grub2 menu, select the Advanced menu and boot from an earler 3.7x kernel.

I would join the Factory mail list to help out. It’s the best way to contact the maintainer.

I am using 64-bit 12.3. This issue did not come about from a kernel update. The last iteration of Overman repo packages I referred to in my last post were working fine with this latest kernel. The Overman updated packages caused the bumblebee to quit working and caused the dkms module to not be able to build the new nvidia driver. I’m not positive, but I’m assuming this is an issue with the latest dkms-nvidia package from the Overman repo. The only packages that were updated which caused the bumblebee to break were dkms-nvidia to 325.15, x11-video-nvidia 325.15 (both of these were from the Overman repo), and xorg-x11-server to 7.6_1.14.2 from the Xorg repo. I tried rolling back the xorg-x11-xserver but that didn’t get me back to normal, so I am deducing that the dkms-nvidia and / or x11-video-nvidia updates caused the issue. Since I can’t rollback, I can’t confirm this, but has to be the case since they are the only two packages left that were chnaged. After the update, my bumblebee broke after the 1st reboot and has been so since. It would be really nice if I could rollback the Overman updates to isolate the cause, but there doesn’t appear to be any form of archives for his repos or packages.

The previous x11-nvidia driver and dkms-nvidia packages were uploaded to the Overman repo today. I installed those and everything works fine again. Not sure why the new one doesn’t work, but I suppose I’ll give it another go if a patch is uploaded soon. Thanks for all the help.

That’s great to hear. There was a bug with a missing “CMAKE” but I’m sure it’s now been resolved.

The 325.15.1.1 versions (x11-video-nvidia,dkms-nvidia) don’t work for me. Where exactly is “CMAKE” missing?

Same error here.

Same error here…

The latest version of dkms-nvidia 325.15-4.1 is out in the Overman79 repository. The problem persists.

It was in OBS. The package failed to compile in the Bumblebee Project for openSUSE 12.3. It has now been fixed.

Why don’t you contact the person maintaining that repository about the error?

Seems to be fixed :slight_smile:

Works great for me now with the latest dkms-nvidia package. nvidia-smi shows I am using 325.15 and optirun is grinding away so this is now resolved for me.

“dkms-nvidia-325.15-12.1” solved this for me as well.