Distorted Sound - M-Audio Audiophile 192

Hello,

Just switched from Ubuntu to OpenSuse, really liking the system so far bar the Distorted sound I am getting. I hear this is a common problem with this card but the thing was I it worked fine on Ubuntu (allthough I was using the 32-bit version). I am looking for some advice on how to troubleshoot the issue. Is it worth trying the 32-bit OpenSuse to see if that works? Currently trying to figure out how to update ALSA but I am still trying to get my head round YAST. Has anyone else had this problem? This is kinda important for me as I do allot with audio and stuff.]

Thanks in advance

You could start by doing some basic steps … ie go to YaST > Hardware > Sound > Other > Volume and move the Master/PCM volume controls far to the right (to increase volume). Then close YaST. Next start your mixer, and move the Master and PCM volume controls there down to a lower level to reduce volume reduce the distortion.

hiya, cheers for the responce.

I have tried messing with all the volume and mixer perameters, it distorts at any volume. I managed to install the latest ALSA through YAST but it didnt seem to make a difference, probably coz it still uses the same driver anyway. Downloading the 32-bit version, will be interesting to see if it works with that. Will post the results.

Its possible your sound driver is not automatically being configured properly. But to make an assessment/test that, you need to provide more information.

You can provide more information, with your PC connected to the internet, by opening a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole and typing:/usr/sbin/alsa-info.shthat will run a diagnostic script and it will automatically post the output to a web site on the Internet. It will give you the URL of the web site. Please post that URL here. Just the URL. It may be that you need to run that script with root permissions.

Also, please copy and paste the following commands one line at a time into a gnome-terminal or a konsole and post here the output: rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

I will try this when I get back home from work, cheers for helping me on this.

Last night I installed ubuntu again on another hard disk and compared alsa versions, drivers etc and all the packages/drivers installed were identical in version the only difference was the kernel version and the fact that Ubuntu was 32 bit. And as far as I can tell OpenSuse x64 is using the same 32 bit sound card driver as Ubuntu.

So…if I install the 32 bit version of OpenSuse aswell and it happens to work the only thing it could be would be the kernel. But yeh I will post the results of the alsa diagnostic when I get home, I would rather solve the problem on x64 aswell rather than just use 32 bit ‘coz it works’.

Note you can also run that diagnostic script (alsa-info.sh) on Ubuntu:/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh if that does not run directly on Ubuntu (I do not know what directory Ubuntu have it located inside) I can also point out where you can easily download and run the script.

The advantage of running it on both Ubuntu and openSUSE, is if sound works on Ubuntu (but not openSUSE) sometimes comparing script outputs will lead us to the solution for openSUSE (and visa versa is also true). One thing about Ubuntu, is that distribution has a reputation for making fixes, but not always passing the fixes upstream, which means their fixes do not always make it to other distributions (unlike Novell/SuSE-GmbH and Red Hat who DO pass their fixes upstream). Thats one of the reasons I no longer even consider Ubuntu as a desktop OS.

Right, after allot of messing around I have concluded that there isn’t a problem, theres just a difference between how Ubuntu and OpenSuse control volume somewhere. When I play tunes in Ubuntu with Amerok volume on 100% there is no distortion and my Stereo Amplifier is at -40db.

In OpenSuse when I play tunes through Amerok there is loads of distortion when at 100%, but if i put the “Amerok Volume” (which seems to be different than the PCM or System Volume?) down to say 20% there is no distortion and I also have to turn my Amp DOWN to like -60db otherwise it is well loud. This is weird… I must have had the amp on different settings when I first discovered the problem. Its almost as if Ubuntu and OpenSuse have a different initial “Gain” settings somewhere. It sounds like it is overdriving my sound card or maybe the amp?

Is it just ALSA Mixer I should be looking at for tweaking this sortof thing? Is there a config file somewhere with gain/volume levels or something?

All sorted now. For no apparent reason whatsoever upgrading ALSA this time round (after 2 fresh installs) worked a treat, no problems now. Wish I could say what solved the problem but I don’t know!