Displayport never shows as active when attached to HDMI source(works under win), the VGA port works

Hi, my laptop is a Dell Precision M6400 the specs will be posted below. My issue is simple enough to explain. I expected to see the DisplayPort to go active and appear to xrandr after giving it a minute or two to sync up. This never occurs. I can use the VGA port w/o an issue and it works almost automagically, the only line needed is xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1024x768 . I kinda expected HDMI to work the same way. PulseAudio has been installed and it’s controls have also been installed. XOrg has no config files to speak of, it auto configures itself. There are no relevant entries in /var/log/messages. Below you will find the output(s) of lspci -vv,Xorg.log, and boot.msg. I could not think of anything else that could help with this, so please let me know if something else is needed to diagnose the issue.

OpenSuse version is 12.1 with KDE as the desktop environment, the laptop has 12gig of ram and quad core intel cpu, NVidia Quadro 3700M using nouveau.

lspci -vv output for the VGA card:

“lspci -vv” relevant output - Pastebin.com](http://pastebin.com/qnhBfWSC)

Xorg.log

Xorg.log - Pastebin.com

contents of /var/log/boot.msg:
boot.msg - Pastebin.com

I’m not sure about the capabilities of the nouveau driver with respect to DisplayPort support. (It may vary depending on the specific nvidia chipset).

Have you tried installing and using the proprietary nvidia driver?

SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

Ok, I will give it a try. I just hate to switch back to the proprietary driver, but I also would like the DisplayPort to work. Thanks, for replying.