display size only 800x600

Hello again,
continuing with my 11.3 install on an old Toshiba Tecra M1 laptop:
when i was installing, i had the options of 1600x1200, 1280x1024, 1024x768 etc.
i chose the 1024x768, because it fit the laptop screen perfectly.
but after the installation, the highest resolution i get is 800x600, and it’s wasting a bunch of real estate on the screen.
any ideas why? i mean, if during installation it could do 1024x768, why not after the install? obviously the graphics card supported it.
Thanks,
Nilesh

You need to determine the graphics driver in use. It might only be using basic vesa or fbdev driver for example.

Read these first:

openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users

SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE

okay, after many years, i finally had time to try some of this - my graphic card seemed to say “TRIDENT” but i didn’t find that in the lists in the links above.

anyhoo, went to the “Configuring graphics cards” link - tried the very first option (boot with nomodeset - failsafe option) and it booted up perfectly in 1024x768 using my entire screen. so my question is: do i always have to boot failsafe to get the proper resolution?

thanks,
Nilesh

The people that made the Trident card are no longer in the graphic card business. I doubt if you are going to find a Trident driver for Linux.

The nomodeset option is standard for the failsafe no need to type it for the failsafe boot.

try adding it to the normal boot. If that works we will tell you how to make it permanent. If it does not there may be additional options that need to be set.

Note because there is no Trident driver available that I know of you will not be able to use the fancy eye candy and special 3D effects in the desktop.