display (from ImageMagick) wrongly auto-resize image files

Hello,

in my OpenSuse 12.3 I have a modified behaviour of the program display (memmber of the package ImageMagick), which wasn’'t like this in older versions…

To be more exact: when I run “display my_file.jpg” the program opens (as expected) a window with my file , BUT … after 1-2 seconda, it just resizes the file so that it is displayed entirely on the screen, BUT now the images gets deformed (mostly on the vertical…).
When opening the image, the window is as I remember from older versions of ImageMagick (a normal window, with the normal window title, proper window borders…); after “display” resizes the image, the window loses it’s borders, the window title-bar… and the most annoying, the image itself gets deformed (again: so that now it gets shown in full in that window — I would expect that the window with the image would be the old way: a certain dimension, and if the image has a resolution that doesn’t fit into those dimensions, just let me drag with the mouse to see the rest of the image !!. or maybe choose manually the resize option, so that it fits the screen.
Or else… just resize the image to fit the monitor screen, BUT with keeping the form factor, just like softwares like gwenview does when I resize the image…

Usually, my pictures (most of them taken with my photo camera), have the height larger then the width; typical resolutions are: 1536x2048
So, if my monitor resolution is 1680x1050, obviously the picture wouldn’t get into the screen, … and, again obviously, when ImageMagick’s display tries to resize the height … the image gets very flattened :slight_smile:

If someone wonders why I’m still using display … it’s because I’m still using very intensely mc (midnight commander) … just go into my folder with images, press Enter on the desired jpg file and … wait for Imagemagick’ s display to popup with that image …

I’m 100% convnced the behaviour is due to changed Imagemagick (I have somewhere a saved (.tar file) settings of mc from older versions of OpenSuse (as old as from the year 2010 … when mc’s settings were in the folder /usr/share/mc …) and checked the current settings of mc (the file mc.ext, actually) and they are not different ! (at least in the part regarding opening image files…)

One more thing: After display does this resizing of the image, if I try the program’s options (you know, that menu that appears when I left-click into the image’s window …) : “View” >> " Original size"-- now the program displays the image just I expected; with the scroll feature to let me see the un-seen parts (that does not fit into the window due to extra height…); well, this is the older behavior of the program, in those older versions I mentioned above; and this I want to be able to set it.
Is there some command line options I can give to “display” so that it just displays the image this way ? This would be a proper solution, either, for this problem …

Never come across this with ImageMagick (which I have used since 2000) but a quick look at the documentation - which you should have in usr/share/doc/packages/ImageMagick (select index.html if it doesn’t come up automatically) - suggests that, under Resources, you may need to check policy.xml which sets the default behaviour. (You will need to be online to access all the documentation.)

That sounds like a common bug
one that has been around for many many years

As a user of IM for far too many years i have seen that over and over

so
when a different and much faster program came into being
i moved over to that and have dumped IM for almost everything
( there is one program i use that would need a big rewrite to remove IM from the source code , so i am not “Free” from IM )

G’MIC - GREYC’s Magic Image Converter
G’MIC - GREYC’s Magic for Image Computing: An Open and Full-Featured Framework for Image Processing

if would take time to relearn things , but it is worth the time .

as ti the current IM issue

reinstall the last version

or
Build this current version from the source code
PS. use a DIFFERENT build folder than the source !!!
there is a very long standing bug in “make clean”
as in it dose NOT work

to run “make clean” you need to delete the build folder and start fresh

That sounds like a common bug
one that has been around for many many years

As a user of IM for far too many years i have seen that over and over

dose the tiny “preview” window open ?
and is there a border ( std window with the min. max. and close buttons)
if not click the image and select “half size” then “restore”

so
when a different and much faster program came into being
i moved over to that and have dumped IM for almost everything
( there is one program i use that would need a big rewrite to remove IM from the source code , so i am not “Free” from IM )

G’MIC - GREYC’s Magic Image Converter
G’MIC - GREYC’s Magic for Image Computing: An Open and Full-Featured Framework for Image Processing

if would take time to relearn things , but it is worth the time .

as ti the current IM issue

reinstall the last version

or
Build this current version from the source code
PS. use a DIFFERENT build folder than the source !!!
there is a very long standing bug in “make clean”
as in it dose NOT work

to run “make clean” you need to delete the build folder and start fresh

the “display” option for gmic is default if no other options override it

display image.png 
-- or ---
gmic image.png 

for a 32 bit floating point image 
IM is q8 & q16, hdri and 32 bit can be built into it 
so 

gmic image.32bit.float.tiff
– or a 32 bit raw image that is 32768x16384 Pixels –
gmic -type float image.32bit.float.raw,32768,16384

i work with a lot of singed 16 bit images and 32 bit floating point

Strange that I have never encountered it in thirteen years. Perhaps it is a hardware problem rather than a software problem.

Thanx.

gmic seems like a pretty good replacement for “display”, at least for my needs.
Already replaced the proper line in mc.ext file to use it instead of “display” and … all’s well

I wouldn’t mind, though, if someone would find the wrong setting and/or the misbehaving component/function that makes it behave like that…