Disc space not being release

I was trying to save some downloaded files and was notified of my /home being full. I checked with Thunar (I am using XFCE) and it showed 300 meg being free. I copied a 28 gig folder to another partition, and then deleted it, as well as some other smaller files. My /home partition is only showing 2.3 gig free. df -h agrees with Thunar, I have re-booted several times. The partition is years old and formatted ext3.

Can anyone tell me how (or point to docs) to reclaim the disc space?

Can anyone tell me how (or point to docs) to format and restore my /home directory? I do understand that I would have to copy my files to another medium and copy them back, but I don’t know how to format a /home directory on a running system.

Any and all help appreciated.

I am not an expert of XFCE as I use KDE. I was wondering though that instead of actually deleting those files they just went to the wastebasket. I take it that you deleted them within Thunar. It may be worth checking the configuration options of Thunar to see what the default option is and how you empty the wastebasket.

As for formatting a partition I tend to use a livecd such as sdystemrescue. Gparted is the app you need to use. You can’t format a drive that is mounted so that’s why I use a live cd.

Forgot to include a link for Systemrescue:

SystemRescueCd

BTW as a user you don’t get to use 100% I think it is about 5% free when you get stopped.

I feel quite the idiot. The files were in the Trash. I had thought I had set Thunar to have a delete command that bypassed the trash.

Thanks for the tip.

Nice this is solved.

But please for next time. Do not tell things like “df -h agrees with Thunar”, but show through copy/paste of the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt between CODE tags (the # button in the tool bar of the pos editor). Then it would have been clear from the start that it wasn’t at 100% but 95% (as gogalthorp assumes). In short we need computer facts and not stories where people jump to (the sometimes wrong) conclusions.