Disbaling and Removing Swap Post Install

Hello!

Unfortunately my first ever openSUSE post will be a problem in need of a solution. :S

I’ve just installed 11.1 on my netbook according to this guide - Acer Aspire One - openSUSE

Unfortunately I forgot to disable the swap partition before the install! Is there a method to disable and remove the swap partition without doing a reinstall? It took a good few hours to install in the first place via the net.

I’m a complete linux newb so please try and keep the language simple if you can help. :stuck_out_tongue:

Alex

I’m presuming this is because of ssd as wouldn’t generally advise turning of swap.

swapoff
edit fstab

Or use yast partitioner to do it, then you should be able to claim it back, should it sit on the end of a umountable partition. If not then gparted though unsure about getting that on/boot from a flash drive.

Or just reclaim as a small partition and use it as is i.e /home/user/other

puppetworx wrote:
> Unfortunately I forgot to disable the swap partition before the
> install! Is there a method to disable and remove the swap partition
> without doing a reinstall? It took a good few hours to install in the
> first place via the net.

man swapoff
edit /etc/fstab accordingly

Kind regards,
Andreas Stieger

FeatherMonkey wrote:
> Or use yast partitioner to do it, then you should be able to claim it
> back, should it sit on the end of a umountable partition. If not then
> gparted though unsure about getting that on/boot from a flash drive.

Both reiserfs (resize_reiserfs) and ext3 (resize2fs) support enlarging
the filesystem while mounted.

Kind regards,
Andreas Stieger

Hello,

Thankyou both for your great help which was unbelievably quick.

For the moment I’ve set the old swap partition as another little file partition but I’ll come back to that and try to reintegrate it with one of the original partitions.

I’m beginning to fall in love with linux now I have the little things ironed out. Previously I had only ever used Windows, and now I am seeing how versatile linux is, it’s terrific.

Thankyou again.
Alex

Let me warn you: turning off swap might lead to a lagging system. You must be sure, there’s no need for swap. Since you have a netbook, I assume there’s a max of 2 GB in it.
If you do this, because of all the warnings about limited writes on SSD, don’t do it. People have already calculated that the stories about SSD’s failing within a year of usage are complete nonsense. In some cases they even showed that disabling swap is increasing the number of writes on the SSD, since the system has nothing to swap to.

My laptop has a 30GB SSD. If I disable swap, performance drops back to traditional hdd performance.