disabling internet to gain FPS, suse 11.4, kde

Which will not onl;y stop your system being able to connect to the Internet (as you asked for), but it will also stop your networking completely, thus no access to your LAN (which you did not ask for).

FarCry2 won’t play without relentless reboot crashes(loading, gameplay) in mswin. Ubisoft says it’s the graphics drivers. Sound card tech says it’s the graphics drivers.

Linux Wine runs it better than microsoft windows!

I finally got to play it through to the end. :slight_smile: The balance between graphics and speed is 26 fps. Squeezing another 5 fps would be good. Less FPS stalls when the network steals cpu time.

Actually, I meant it. I don’t have a LAN, only internet. So, LAN’s are of no use to me. It would be better if you knew how to shut off LAN, internet, and all networking. How to do all would useful to other users, not just me.

Also, the rcnetwork command shuts down your firewall without shutting down internet. That’s bad. That’s what it looked like.

Back to my question, how?

On 2011-08-06 23:16, lord valarian wrote:
> lso, the rcnetwork command shuts down your firewall without shutting
> down internet. That’s bad. That’s what it looked like.

Not true. rcnetwork stop does exactly that, switch off all network.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Actually, I meant it. I don’t have a LAN, only internet.

you mean you have no router, but are connected directly to the internet?

I dont get it how you are connected to the internet if you dont have LAN ? am i missing something or what ?

I may not be clear on my understanding.

LAN= Local area network. A number of computers in the same area connected to communicate with one another(company network).

WAN= wide area network, the internet.

A computer can be connected directly to the internet, Ethernet cable from computer to DSL modem to a WAN/internet.

A LAN can be connected to WAN/internet through a firewall.

Correct me, if missed or misused terms.

Commands superuser:

>rcnetwork stop
Shutting down network interfaces:
    eth0      device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
    eth0      serves root filesystem. Leave it up.
    eth0                                                                             skipped
Shutting down service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .                             done

>rcnetwork start
Setting up network interfaces:
    eth0      Starting DHCP4+DHCP6 client. . . . . . . .  
    eth0      IP address: 192.168.1.46/24
    eth0      DHCP6 continues in background
    eth0                                                                             done
Setting up service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .                             done
SuSEfirewall2: Setting up rules from /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 ...
SuSEfirewall2: Firewall rules successfully set

>ifdown eth0

>ifup eth0
Starting DHCP4+DHCP6 client on eth0. . . . . . . .  
    eth0      IP address: 192.168.1.46/24
    eth0      DHCP6 continues in background

rcnetwork did leave the internet on. Firefox was working as normal. My router light stays flashing(center).

ifdown did cut off firefox from using the internet. After a while, my router light(center) stops.

What does each set of commands do to a LAN or WAN/internet?

You have a LAN. There are apparently only two prtners in that LAN: your system and the DSL router. They have addresses in the same network 192.168.1.0/24. All other systems you connect to that router will be in the same LAN and have addresses out of the same range. As long as your computer systems network connection is proper configured and up it can talk it is connected to the LAN and can thus talk to the DSL router.

It is only when your system sends IP package to the DSL router that ar to be sent to addresses outside the LAN that your DSL router tries to send them outside to the Internet. Thus when you see you want no internet connection, you can do several hardware or software things to achieve this (e.g. disconnect the DSL from the telephone line). But this does not stop the system from being able to function inside the LAN. Even if there is only the DSL router to talk to (e.g. to configure it via it’s webinterface).

I hope this helps in you understanding the mess you created by saying you wanted to stop connecting to the Internet, while it is now clear (after a week or so) that you not only want to stop your Internet connection, but also your LAN connection, yes, you want to stop your network interfaces completely.

Hi im back after meny tests :slight_smile: Wine wont start up just an any game, even if it will start it up, it still runs real slow. i think its much beter for you and for meny other who loves to play games to have dual OS on your PC. after meny tests i came to desision, why would i try to run it in wine ? why do i have Crossfire ATI if im not able to usi its power ? why do i have to RAPE my brain if i can just press reset buton adn after 20-25 sec i will be in windows and will be able to play with full power any game. its up to you what you do, but my best solution for it, its to have some small space for windows and use it for games. you can say many thing about wine etc, but it will never replace windows and his smoothnes with games. ( my opinion)

I see. So, I have a LAN with one computer connected behind a firewall.

>That will stop all networking, not only the connection to the internet. rcnetwork stop
>Henk van Velden

With that command, Firefox can access the internet. Firefox clears the cache on exit(my settings). So, Firefox is not reading the cache. The command skips one entry. Is that why internet is still available?

It is the router that is the border between your LAN and the rest. It does not matter If there is firewall functionality in that router. Your LAN extists out of two systems (one PC and one router) and one cable. That may be a small network, but it is a network (two nodes, one connection) And because this network is a computer network and because it is a local (ethernet based) netwerk, it is called a LAN.

It is a LAN even if there is no connection to the Internet at all. It is a LAN if it is connected to another network through that router, being the other network the internet or not. And it is a LAN being that connection through that router firewalled or not.

I do not know if you configured your eth0 to be used “traditional by ifup” or “use networkmanager”. In the second case the *rcnetwork stop *will not stop eth0 because you configured that rcntwork should not do anything with eth0. In that case the loged in end-user should stop networking through his networkmanager client.

I also think I should warn you against running the system with he conplete network down (rcnetwork stop), because that also stops the local loop (on address 127.0.0.1) and that could (I do not say must, but could) hamper some software in functioning.

I never ment that. MSwin is inferior to linux for business, personal, and many more uses. However, Linux can’t compete with mswin games. I have yet to see a linux game on the level of mswin. In the case of “Far Cry 2”, it’s playable in linux. Where in mswin, it’s unplayable.

On 08/12/2011 10:46 PM, lord valarian wrote:
>
> I never ment that. MSwin is inferior to linux for business, personal,
> and many more uses. However, Linux can’t compete with mswin games. I
> have yet to see a linux game on the level of mswin. In the case of “Far
> Cry 2”, it’s playable in linux. Where in mswin, it’s unplayable.

+1

if you are looking for a game machine stick to Redmond’s finest (or
PlayStation, or Nintendo or Atari or or or or)…but, if you need a
dependable work/school/home office machine then Linux is the best game
in town!

keep your games on one machine, and your work on another…that way the
game machine can’t eat your office/homework.

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

I don’t have any other computers connected to the router. This one is simple with only one ethernet plug available for computers. You can’t connect anything else to it.

Also, I’v been using network cutoff with no problems with any software package. I just turn the network back on when needed.