disabling internet to gain FPS, suse 11.4, kde

I can disable the internet in mswin(XP) to gain some FPS in games. How can I disable the internet and enable the internet as needed? I have suse 11.4 and kde. Through command line? For wine games. Thanks.

What ???
is this a windows question or a suse question

and why do you think that disabling the network ( while NOT being used) will speed up some unnamed game

also you do know that games in wine ** will be slow**

Yes, slower, hence any increase in FPS is better. I said it worked in mswin. This is the opensuse forums. Try and see. So, how?

what will have worked for MS windows will not on Linux ( mostly)
turning off something that is not being used at that time will not have any effect on the system .It is NOT being used and hence not eating up ram or cpu cycles

if you want MORE FPS then run a MS windows game on a MS windows Operating System
wine is slow
i have one program that in wine will take 1 hour and 45 min to run
on win7 it takes 30 sec. to run

How can I disable the internet and enable the internet as needed?

Should I take tis litteraly? I hope you can not disable the internet, I need it.

When you mean that you want to disable the access of your system to the internet (and v.v.), remove the default route to your router/modem. Then only your LAN can be reached and nothing can go outside to the internet.

A good idea might have been to ask on the Games section of the forum whether anyone successfully runs the game you’re trying, and if they are did they have to do anything other than just install it

It’s not really a hardware question is it, it’s a gaming software question

On 2011-07-24 10:56, hcvv wrote:
>
>> How can I disable the internet and enable the internet as needed?
> Should I take tis litteraly? I hope you can not disable the internet, I
> need it.

rcnetwork stop

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

That will stop all networking, not only the connection to the internet.

On 2011-07-24 17:36, hcvv wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2367846 Wrote:

>> rcnetwork stop

> That will stop all networking, not only the connection to the internet.

Absolutely!

But can you prove that the local networks is not a hurdle? It can have
heavier traffic. Think of a multimedia centre, for example.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I’ll test it myself. I’v not been able to find any information from the internet. Which is why i’m asking here. So, how do I disable internet access and enable it? I’ll find it sooner or later. I’v found one command that might, but it doesn’t tell how to enable it again.

I do not want to prove anything. I answered the question from the OP (or at least as I understood the question from the OP).

@robin_listas already gave you one command to stop networking. Mind, it stops all networking, also connection to your local network. If you don’t have a local network, his solution will do, it will make your PC completely “stand-alone”:

su -c 'rcnetwork stop'

To restart the networking:

su -c 'rcnetwork start'

Another option is to switch networking from traditional ‘ifup’ (mostly found on PC’s) to Networkmanager. That way you can use an icon in your system tray to disable/enable networking. Again, this will stop network functionality entirely.

On 2011-07-24 22:36, hcvv wrote:
> I do not want to prove anything. I answered the question from the OP
> (or at least as I understood the question from the OP).

You have to look further than what the OP says :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2011-07-24 23:16, Knurpht wrote:

> @robin_listas already gave you one command to stop networking. Mind, it
> stops all networking, also connection to your local network. If you
> don’t have a local network, his solution will do, it will make your PC
> completely “stand-alone”:

The other possibility is removing the default gateway from the routing
table; but IMO, if internet traffic is disruptive enough for that game,
local traffic will also be.

Simply disabling internet is not simple. :slight_smile:

Another idea would be to switch off the internet router/modem.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

It seems that both of us are not quite sure what the question is. The difference between us is imho that I give a solution, in the same time explaining what that solution is for (my interpretation of the question). You give a solution for another interpretation, while not explaining how you interpreted the question. That is why I added a remark to your advise, to explain to the OP what your statement does do.

In the meantime the OP does not seem to understand either message when he says that he has a command to switch off what he wants to be switched off and keeps that command secret to us (!) while asking for a command that does the obverse to switch on again what he switched off. I think I bail out of this thread. Enough contradictory advises and not getting one step nearer to even understanding the OP’s question :frowning:

Those messages didn’t exist until after I posted the last one. If your writing a letter or doing anything else that doesn’t need the network, it might run faster, problem keyboard stalling or math intense application.

The point is to disable the network processes to free up more of the cpu. I’ll try those commands and see what happens.

I’ll use the display fps on the game. Else, I’ll have to see if there is a difference visually.

@robin_listas already gave you one command to stop networking. Mind, it stops all networking, also connection to your local network. If you don’t have a local network, his solution will do, it will make your PC completely “stand-alone”:
Code:

su -c ‘rcnetwork stop’

To restart the networking:
Code:

su -c ‘rcnetwork start’

Another option is to switch networking from traditional ‘ifup’ (mostly found on PC’s) to Networkmanager. That way you can use an icon in your system tray to disable/enable networking. Again, this will stop network functionality entirely.

Shutting down network interfaces:
    eth0      device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
    eth0      serves root filesystem. Leave it up.
    eth0                                                                             skipped
Shutting down service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .                             done

The command output says “skipped” in one of the entries. Firefox still works as normal. ??

why bother just take cable out and put it in when u need it.
and one more thing why bother playing games via wine ? dunno maybe u are playing some low grafic games, i have quad core cpu 3.6 ghz and i wasnt able to play crysis 2 via wine even just a poker games started real slow.

I do hit the power switch, but this is simpler.

I used the method I found:

ifdown eth0

It works, but how do I turn it back on?

ifup eth0

Thanks.

I’m going to try to found out more about it, couse now i want to now it as you do, but one question qhat kind of game are u play? and what was the heaviest game that you played via Wine ?