Disable Sentelic Touchpad

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can disable the touchpad on my laptop. The laptop itself is an Asus G74 which uses a Sentelic touchpad. I am relatively new to OpenSUSE and configuration of hardware in linux. I always use a usb mouse and the touchpad is so sensitive my cursor is constantly jumping around.

The problem here is that since it’s not synaptics I get a no touchpad found error on login (synaptics was automatically installed) and can find no way to configure just the touchpad. I checked around but unfortunately my laptop doesn’t provide a BIOS option to disable the touchpad.

Sorry if this rambled a bit but does anyone have any idea?

Hello nerratt,

I personaly can not answer that question (simply lack of knowledge), but people would at least want to know what version of openSUSE you use and what desktop (KDE, Gnome, …) you use.

Sorry about that I totally forgot to add this information. I’m on 12.1 using KDE.

I can’t figure out how to edit so I’m sorry for the multiple posts. I have a somewhat alright solution to share for any others with the same issue. I have had some luck with the following:

add the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d mouse file

Section “InputClass”
Identifier “disable touchpad”
MatchIsPointer “on”
MatchProduct “FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad”
Option “Ignore” “on”
EndSection

where the product was the output from ‘xinput list’
This completely disables the touchpad.

I would still like to find a way to only disable if my usb mouse is plugged in just in case but haven’t found a good way to achieve this yet. Even just a script to toggle it would be good.

*Not sure if this will work for you (or if you are even using KDE at all), but anyway… for KDE you can configure the touchpad via

System Settings >> Xinput Devices >> Touchpad >> Automatic touchpad control

then enable ‘Automaically switch off touchpad, if a mouse is plugged’

I recently read a review for the G74 model laptop that referred to a keystroke combination used to disable/enable that Sentelic Touchpad. I’m pretty sure it was crtl-f9 but I’m not positive. Of course that probably only works in windows but you might get lucky and find the capability is provided by linux and/or the BIOS. At any rate try it and let me know how it works so I can factor the info into an upcoming purchasing decision.

There is a keystroke combination fn+f9 but I’ve had no luck getting it to work correctly in OpenSUSE. In general I haven’t been happy with the touchpad on the g74. Even in windows when turning on the disable when another mouse is plugged in setting it only works some of the time and I find I often have to unplug then replug my external mouse to get the disable to work.

A side note: if you depend on being able to turn on and off the numlock for different functions the G74 is quite frustrating.