Disable pulseaudio completely

Using XFCE. I referred to SDB:Pulseaudio - openSUSE Wiki but when I read the heading " Disabling pulseaudio completely (ALSA fall-back)" it refers to openSUSE 11.2 and Gnome, neither of which I use. Are the instructions still valid or is there a newer link?

Did you try what is written there, is it working? If not, what kind of errors do you get?

Sorry, wrong category. Please move to multimedia.

To start with please show the output from

systemctl --user list-units | grep -iE "wire|pulse"

As instructed.

ion@ion-fujitsu:~> systemctl --user list-units | grep -iE "wire|pulse"
  sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:1c.3-0000:02:00.0-net-wlan0.device                        loaded active plugged Wireless 8260 (Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260)
  sys-subsystem-net-devices-wlan0.device                                                   loaded active plugged Wireless 8260 (Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260)
  pulseaudio.service                                                                       loaded active running Sound Service
  pulseaudio.socket                                                                        loaded active running Sound System
ion@ion-fujitsu:~> 

Ok, that confirms no pipewire in the mix. You can disable pulseaudio.socket and pulseaudio.service via the systemctl command, or just use

setup-pulseaudio --disable
1 Like

Followed instruction.

ion@ion-fujitsu:~> setup-pulseaudio --disable
You need to be root in order to enable/disable pulseaudio
ion@ion-fujitsu:~> sudo setup-pulseaudio --disable
[sudo] password for root: 
Disabling PulseAudio for ALSA...
Disabling PulseAudio for libao...
Disabling PulseAudio for SDL...
Disabling PulseAudio for Timidity...
Disabling PulseAudio for Phonon...
Disabling PulseAudio for Kmix...
Disabling PulseAudio for speech dispatcher...
Disabling PulseAudio for SoX...
Setting alsasink/src for gstreamer
Clearing QEMU/KVM audio setup
Disabling systemd user socket...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/user/pulseaudio.socket → /dev/null.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service → /dev/null.

Finally…

ion-fujitsu:/home/ion # zypper ref
Repository 'Google-chrome' is up to date.                                                                                     
Repository 'Leap-15.4_OSS' is up to date.                                                                                     
Repository 'Leap-15.4_non-OSS' is up to date.                                                                                 
Repository 'Leap-15.4_updates_OSS' is up to date.                                                                             
Repository 'Leap-15.4_updates_SLE' is up to date.                                                                             
Repository 'Leap-15.4_updates_backports' is up to date.                                                                       
Repository 'Leap-15.4_updates_non-OSS' is up to date.                                                                         
Repository 'Nvidia' is up to date.                                                                                            
Repository 'Packman_Leap-15.4' is up to date.                                                                                 
Repository 'Brave Browser' is up to date.                                                                                     
Repository 'nordvpn' is up to date.                                                                                           
Repository 'skype (stable)' is up to date.                                                                                    
Repository 'vivaldi' is up to date.                                                                                           
All repositories have been refreshed.
ion-fujitsu:/home/ion # zypper in alsaequal
Loading repository data...
Warning: Repository 'Leap-15.4_updates_OSS' metadata expired since 2023-05-27 13:03:47 EEST.

Warning: Repository metadata expired: Check if 'autorefresh' is turned on (zypper lr), otherwise
    manualy refresh the repository (zypper ref). If this does not solve the issue, it could be that
    you are using a broken mirror or the server has actually discontinued to support the repository.

Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 2 NEW packages are going to be installed:
  alsaequal ladspa-caps

2 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 196.7 KiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 447.2 KiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): 
Retrieving: ladspa-caps-0.9.26-bp154.1.19.x86_64 (Leap-15.4_OSS)                                          (1/2), 171.8 KiB    
Retrieving: ladspa-caps-0.9.26-bp154.1.19.x86_64.rpm .....................................................[done (541.0 KiB/s)]
Retrieving: alsaequal-0.7.1-bp154.1.22.x86_64 (Leap-15.4_OSS)                                             (2/2),  24.9 KiB    
Retrieving: alsaequal-0.7.1-bp154.1.22.x86_64.rpm ..........................................................[done (2.6 KiB/s)]

Checking for file conflicts: ...........................................................................................[done]
(1/2) Installing: ladspa-caps-0.9.26-bp154.1.19.x86_64 .................................................................[done]
(2/2) Installing: alsaequal-0.7.1-bp154.1.22.x86_64 ....................................................................[done]
ion-fujitsu:/home/ion # alsaequal
bash: alsaequal: command not found
ion-fujitsu:/home/ion #

The whole point of removing pulseaudio was to have alsaequal working. Where have I gone wrong?

alsaequal is not an executable. This package only provides:

/etc/alsa/
/etc/alsa/conf.d/99-equal.conf
/usr/lib64/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_equal.so
/usr/lib64/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_equal.so
/usr/share/doc/packages/alsaequal/README.md
/usr/share/licenses/alsaequal/COPYING

You should read the documentation how to adjust and use alsaequal:

I followed the instructions in the GitHub link and set up an .asoundrc file. I then ran alsamixer which worked. But with output volume at 100 the level of online radio was much lower that with pulse. More importantly Skype would not connect when I tried their test to check the sound worked. Skype is something I need as I travel. So it’s back to pulse. In any case thanks for the help.