disable laptop monitor

Hey forum,

I currently have my laptop hooked up to a bigger LCD monitor and I want to disable my actual laptop monitor. Right now it just mirrors my LCD monitor.

Any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks,
Leo

My guess would be, dependent on your graphic hardware and dependent on your graphic driver, and dependent on your desktop, and dependent on your openSUSE version, it might be possible to do this with “xrandr”.

It would be nice if you would provide that sort of “dependent on” info. :slight_smile:

Hehe sorry about that :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m running Suse 11.1 KDE 3.5
Graphics Card: Intel Mobile 945 GM/GMS/GME, 943/940 GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Not really sure how to find the driver information etc.

In my sax2:x11 configuration the “Active Dual Head Mode” checkbox is unchecked.

Please let me know if you need more info…

-Leo

You are likely using the “Intel” graphic driver.

I explained here in post#14 (link follows) how to check the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to find what driver loaded:
openSUSE Forums - View Single Post - openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users

I note you advised KDE3. That makes it more difficult. I could never get KDE-3.5 to work with this functionality, while with KDE-4.3.5 it “just works” in this specific aspect (KDE4 has ‘other’ problems). I documented some KDE4 experiences here: openSUSE Forums - View Single Post - Laptop external (cloned) projector support in KDE … but that won’t help you with KDE3.

If you wish to do this via GUI (which is what I like to do) then someone who knows KDE-3.5 and is still using it will need to help, as unfortunately KDE-3.5’s support is poor for xrandr.

You could also type: “man xrandr” and see if you can figure out a command line way to do this.

Maybe

xrandr --output LVDS --off

will do it?

that worked! thanks mr. amazing

Glad that it works. lol!

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

This is a bot??? this isn’t a windows forum…

VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
Stops working when you open a window.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkwh77YACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVncBgCaAw+UA6tM4Vqk5zn1DuZ2hFcN
5dQAoJpRyUXG830cD6gsBk5aaX1gB8We
=qblU
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----