Difficulty with Rosewill RNX-G300EX

I have scaled the googles up and down for info on how to install drivers, all I got were the drivers and I couldn’t figure out how to install it.
moreover, if i could get a specific step-by-step on how to make this driver install this here, I would be happy enough, that is if it fixed the problem… I understand the linux kernel required is 2.6.28, i have 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae. Will this be alright? If not, links on how to update linux kernel as i have not found this either.
Moving along.

More specifically, the NIC is also known as RA2561/RT61 802.11g PCI.

/sbin/lspci -n yields

03:01.0 0280: 1814:0301

/sbin/lspci yields

03:01.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

and /usr/sbin/iwconfig yields

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Linux wireless LAN support http://linux-wless.passys.nl

According to this, my wireless card is compatible as-is with my system.

dmesg|list shows at the very end (before crashing -_- )

skge eth0: enabling interface
phy0-> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.

I know there is available firmware to write to the network card, but i do not want to brick it for my windows system…it already has enough trouble as it is (perhaps because of the outdated fw??)

I gave all the information I possibly could, and sorry for all the black space, but any and all help will be appreciated.

Hello Chessmanexe. This forum is for people that are using openSUSE. The current version is 11.3 with 11.4 coming shortly in the future. openSUSE 11.3 is using kernel 2.6.34, which is newer than anything you have mentioned. Perhaps you need to tell us more about the Linux version that you are using.

Thank You,

im using linux 11.0, im looking to get internet so i can upgrade.
If I could upgrade using an offline updater that’d be neat too but based on my research it isn’t as easy as pointing and double clicking to upgrade.

So you are using openSUSE 11.0, is that correct?

So, if you can make a CD, then consider downloading a LiveCD such as the KDE disk and use it to upgrade OR, if you can make a DVD, consider downloading the DVD and using it to upgrade. You can do a full install and then go online, as long as the network works and upgrade the files to the most recent online. You can find both CD’s or the DVD here online:

software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 11.3

If you are unable to make a CD or DVD, consider making a visit to a local bookstore and look for a Linux magazine that contains the openSUSE 11.3 distribution, that is what I would do and use the CD to upgrade your system.

For instance I see that the magazine LinuxUser & Developer Issue #94 contains a copy of openSUSE 11.4 Milestone 2, perhaps a little to new and advanced, but an example of magazines that you can find at the local book store with copies of openSUSE included.

Thank You,

The problem is, I’d really rather know that internet will work if i do upgrade. My main problem is internet connectivity among other things.
If possible, I’d like to upgrade from an iso if possible?

Thanks again for the quick reply.

The problem is, I’d really rather know that internet will work if i do upgrade. My main problem is internet connectivity among other things.
If possible, I’d like to upgrade from an iso if possible?

Thanks again for the quick reply.
You can download the iso file to make a bootable disk from the URL that I posted before. Here it is again:

software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 11.3

Thank You,

ah, i didn’t specify, sorry.
I dont have a dvd or cd to burn, is it possible to update from an ISO without burning it to a cd/dvd?
perhaps from a usb.
and even if this does go through, would I be able to get internet easier?

My brain is dead from filling out a huge application for a job, sorry lol!

Regards, Jared.

Yes. Check this link for additional instructions :
Install FROM USB

It is very much possible that internet will work OOTB with the latest version of openSUSE but I’m not sure about it. Why don’t You create the live bootable USB and see for yourself ?
SDB:Live USB stick - openSUSE

Best regards,
Greg