Desktop unusable on normal boot, new install of 12.1

Hi. I installed openSuse 12.1 and I like it a lot because it is the first distro I’ve found that had support for my dynamic windows disk. I’m still learning where things are because I’m used to ubuntu or mint which are based on debian, and this is more of a redhat distribution. So, please excuse my ignorance…

Here’s the first question (I’ll use different threads for different topics):
In order to get a desktop that works, I have to use the failsafe option. How can I discover the problem, and modify the settings, so that a normal boot will work? An alternative would be to make failsafe the default option in grub, that would at least be better than having to hit the arrow every time.

System is a Dell E521 which uses nvidia graphics. I’m using a Sceptre 23" tv as the monitor, connected via VGA. When I had similar issues on ubuntu a while back, I had to install ‘proprietary drivers’ to get things working right; ubuntu identified the drivers and I just installed/enabled them.

Extra info: the dynamic disk I mentioned is an add-on, not the one where either openSuse or Windows are installed, so it is not relevant to this problem. Also fyi installing suse broke windows boot, but that is a separate issue from this one.

What is dynamic disk???

You probably need to add the proprietary NVIDIA driver.

SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

What is dynamic disk???

You probably need to add the proprietary NVIDIA driver.

SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

Thank you! Your link helped me find the proprietary driver, and that resolved the situation.

Dynamic Disks are explained here:
Basic and Dynamic Disks

Thanks again.

Oh like LVM LOL

I’m surprised that works. Last I looked you could not access Dynamic volumes from any Linux. MS secret stuff, you know.

AFAIK you could always dual boot as long as you used an Windows utility to free up the space.

Unfortunately I don’t have enough space free (on the 1TB disk!) for windoze to free up space. But, the smaller disks work fine for os so I just needed to be able to access the data on the big one, and the new partitioner does have support for the dynamic disks.

I had tried under Ubuntu and Mint to access these things and never got it right. Supposedly by adding an extension to the kernel and waving a magic wand you can make it happen with those distros, too…