Desktop Kernel Not Recognizing USB Devices

After dealing with the problem in this thread: Graphic and Software Behavior
my mouse and keyboard aren’t working after booting up. In order to make them work I have to re-plug them again.

I’m using 32 bit desktop version of openSUSE 12.2 on i3 processor, radeon hd 5450 graphics, and 4 GB of RAM.
Due to problems you can read by clicking on a link above, I installed desktop kernel, and now I have named problem with USB mouse and keyboard.

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Are you finding this issue on a live disk?
Can we open create test user, turn off auto login and login into that “test” user and check whether the problem still exists ?
This thread might help you https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/hardware/477964-usb-mouse-keyboard-not-working-12-2-a-2.html

With live disk everything works fine as well as with default kernel in 12.2

The problems appears right after I choose openSUSE in grub menu ( I have dual boot with Win8 ). First there was an error message about USB devices and now the message is gone but devices are still not responding.

I’m not sure how it would help with test user since the problem appears at very start of booting, but anyway I’ll give it a go…

After booting up, it takes around 1-2 minutes for devices to start working…

On 01/12/2013 05:06 PM, thermooo wrote:
>
> After booting up, it takes around 1-2 minutes for devices to start
> working…

OH! then it is not “Not Recognizing USB Devices” but rather “Not QUICKLY
Recognizing USB Devices”…

so, lets try figure out why…what else could be going on? here might
be a really easy way to get an idea:

WELL! for me to tell you what to try i need to know which desktop
environment you are using, so i could tell you where to put what i want
you to create…

even though i wrote to you earlier: “don’t make us guess,
please…and, always state the operating system and
version, the desktop environment and version…etc”

but you didn’t, so i quit.


dd

I’m using 32 bit desktop KDE version of openSUSE 12.2 on i3 processor, radeon hd 5450 graphics, and 4 GB of RAM. And it’s written above…

In addition:

OS: Linux 3.4.11-2.16-desktop i686

KDE: 4.8.5 (4.8.5) “release 2”

Also, my warning log says this:

Jan 12 21:36:30 linux-t1mh udevd[298]: seq 1290 '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb3' killed
Jan 12 21:36:36 linux-t1mh kernel:    47.122487] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
Jan 12 21:36:51 linux-t1mh kernel:    62.324333] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
Jan 12 21:37:02 linux-t1mh kernel:    72.928463] usb 3-2: device not accepting address 4, error -110
Jan 12 21:37:12 linux-t1mh udevd[298]: worker [335] terminated by signal 9 (Killed)
Jan 12 21:37:12 linux-t1mh kernel:    83.431596] usb 3-2: device not accepting address 5, error -110
Jan 12 21:37:12 linux-t1mh kernel:    83.431612] hub 3-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2

On 2013-01-12 01:36, thermooo wrote:
> I’m using 32 bit desktop version of openSUSE 12.2 on i3 processor,
> radeon hd 5450 graphics, and 4 GB of RAM.

I don’t know why you use the 32 bit version :-?

I say this because years ago the 32 bit software was the preferred one
and thus more tested. Now, on the contrary, it is the 64 bit version
which is widely more tested…

Just an idea.

Another one. You mention that the lice CD works fine. Maybe an older
kernel works, you could try that.


Cheers/Saludos
Carlos E. R. (12.1 test at Minas-Anor)

On 2013-01-12 20:56, thermooo wrote:
>
> Also, my warning log says this:
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> Jan 12 21:36:30 linux-t1mh udevd[298]: seq 1290 ‘/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb3’ killed
> Jan 12 21:36:36 linux-t1mh kernel: 47.122487] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
> Jan 12 21:36:51 linux-t1mh kernel: 62.324333] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
> Jan 12 21:37:02 linux-t1mh kernel: 72.928463] usb 3-2: device not accepting address 4, error -110
> Jan 12 21:37:12 linux-t1mh udevd[298]: worker [335] terminated by signal 9 (Killed)
> Jan 12 21:37:12 linux-t1mh kernel: 83.431596] usb 3-2: device not accepting address 5, error -110
> Jan 12 21:37:12 linux-t1mh kernel: 83.431612] hub 3-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
> --------------------

And this does not happen on the live CD test? The difference is probably
a different kernel.


Cheers/Saludos
Carlos E. R. (12.1 test at Minas-Anor)

I’m an architect and I need my Draftsight, but it won’t run on 64 bit OS.

However, I figured out what’s wrong… It seems my bluetooth is broken, I just realized it.
Now, everything’s OK.
Thanks.

On 01/12/2013 11:16 PM, thermooo wrote:
>
> I’m an architect and I need my Draftsight, but it won’t run on 64 bit
> OS.

that is strange…32 bit software should run fine in a 64 openSUSE
(but not the other way around: that is, a 64 bit Draftsight would not
run in a 32 bit openSUSE)…

of course, i’ve never heard of “Draftsight” so maybe it is ‘special’

> However, I figured out what’s wrong… It seems my bluetooth is broken,
> I just realized it.

so, you unplugged the BT and the system stopped spending minutes trying
to contact it…and, then all the (working) UBS stuff could get found
quickly…

next time you have a USB problem and ask a question, PLEASE mention all
connected “USB Devices” rather than lump them into a word package we
have to GUESS its meaning, please…

> Now, everything’s OK.

welcome, but it took a lot longer to solve than necessary.


dd

On 2013-01-13 12:23, dd wrote:
> welcome, but it took a lot longer to solve than necessary.

The log output was pointing at it, I think. We just needed a lsusb
output to match that log to actual devices and point to the culprit. I
didn’t think of that at the time.


Cheers/Saludos
Carlos E. R. (12.1 test at Minas-Anor)