Desktop Fire setting doesn't work

I selected ‘Fire’ from the Desktop effects list and got an error message saying that it “could not be activated”.

Why? Does it conflict with another effect? Is there a way to fix this?

You did not mention the desktop or openSUSE versions that you are using. I use KDE 4 and openSUSE 11.2. In KDE when I go to Menu > Personnel Settings > Look & Feel > Desktop > Desktop Settings, I don’t see anything called “Fire”. Perhaps you could be more specific as to what you are trying to change.

Thank You,

There are a number of reasons why a particular desktop effect will not work, for example, not having enough memory installed for it.

Sorry for too little information.

I downloaded SUSE 11.2 and am using the KDE version that comes default with it.

When I go to Configure Desktop / Look and Feel / Desktop / Desktop Effects / All Effects (tab), there is a setting called “Explosion” under “Appearance”.

When I select it, I get a message saying that it can’t work, but nothing much more than that.

I know this is no big deal…I just kind of liked the effect and I don’t understand why it doesn’t work. Sometimes things like this not working can be a symptom of other problems.

Oh yeah, and I have 4Gb ram, so I don’t think that’s an issue. When I boot a Knoppix liveCD, the exploding windows work fine.

I just tried this desktop effect you mention and it did work for me though I am thinking it might become somewhat annoying for all of your Windows to explode. I have upgraded to KDE 4.4.3 and this may have been something fixed in a newer version of KDE than you have loaded. You can go to the “My Computer” icon on the desktop and open it up. On the right, near the bottom, is your KDE version. Mine says: KDE: 4.4.3 (KDE 4.4.3). Could you post your version for us? But I can tell you, you don’t really want this effect running. Each time I check the spelling of a word, the Window blows up when I close it. I don’t really need any help in blowing up my computer, I can do it on my own.lol!

Thank You,

What video card and what driver?

I tried that effect when I first installed and thought it was annoying but it did work. It may require the proprietary driver for your card