Desktop Effects are not working; I just switched back to the open source radeon driver

I just switched back to the open source radeon driver, since the kernel update may have messed with fglrx for the proprietary driver. if i boot into nomodeset then i have desktop effects, however when i boot regularly, the desktop effects are off and do not work. can anyone help me? Thanks.

ATI radeon mobile graphics HD4200; opensuse 11.3

There was an update to the kernel that should fix this. Go for the latest kernel release 2.6.34.7-0.4 and you shoudl be able to use the Catalyst proprietary graphic driver gain.

A question for you, if you do NOT use the proprietary graphic driver, is it necessary to specify ‘nomodeset’ for the PC to boot openSUSE (with the ATI radeon HD4200 graphics) ? I’m pondering a PC purchase for my mother, and I’ll be maintaining the PC with me 9,000 km away in Europe (my mother in Canada) so I want to be able to reboot the PC after a kernel update with out a problem. Being able to boot to the radeon driver without having to specify a boot code is one way to do it.

I could put ‘nomodeset’ in her /boot/grub/menu.lst file (and then be certain to check that edit survives the rpm update of the file in a kernel update) but there is room for me to make a mistake when I’m 1/2 asleep (and forget to check), and I prefer not to risk my own stupidity. :slight_smile: … If radeon opensource driver boots to HD4200 without nomodeset, then I have no worries, and I can easily update her PC when I’m FAR away :slight_smile:

When I type “man radeon” and “man radeonhd” I don’t see any entry for HD4200 support, yet it appears the radeon open source driver does support that card (assuming you are not using the VESA driver).

If I make a mistake, and her PC can’t boot, then the possibility to recover from such a mistake is difficult.