Desktop capture

Try Freeser packaged by malcolm_lewis
There is a freeser package at packman but you have to
modify the command to work.

Note malcolm if you still not familiar with his name
He is one of our moderator here at openSUSE forum.

conram,

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn’t able to find Freeser using YaST, and I do have Packman’s repo installed. I also Googled and did a .rpm search using PBone. No luck here.

I highly recommend using Kazam.

It does a better job then anything I have ever used before and has the capability of recording from your microphone, or directly from your sound card, aka start a song in Amarok or other app and Kazam will grab that audio. Here is an example of a desktop screen capture recording a song being played in smplayer.

Kazam Screencasting

My mistake, sorry

It’s** freeseer**:slight_smile:

conram,

Thanks I found and installed freeseer.

brucecadieux,

I am having some issues trying to install Kazam. I have - of course - read the read me.

jjm@linux-97bf:~> su
Password:
linux-97bf:/home/jjm # cd Kazam
linux-97bf:/home/jjm/Kazam # cd kazam-1.0.3
linux-97bf:/home/jjm/Kazam/kazam-1.0.3 # sudo python setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “setup.py”, line 4, in <module>
from DistUtilsExtra.command import *
ImportError: No module named DistUtilsExtra.command
linux-97bf:/home/jjm/Kazam/kazam-1.0.3 #

Thanks to the both of you for your replies.

Hi
You need python-distutils-extra installed. Give me a bit and can build
an rpm.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 1 day 22:00, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Hi
Building at the moment, works fine in GNOME 3 and 12.1;
http://pmbs.links2linux.org/download/home:/malcolmlewis/Multimedia_openSUSE_12.1/

Build info;
http://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/show?package=kazam&project=home%3Amalcolmlewis

If all ok for you all, will push to the Multimedia repository.

up 0:21, 2 users, load average: 0.14, 0.35, 0.34

I just installed your noarch package on another machine I have. It installs fine, but never pulled in any of the required dependencies so kazam doesn’t do anything. :wink:

Hi
As in python modules? Which openSUSE release?

At present there are no Requires in the spec as it just worked on my G3/12.1 install…

It pulled in nothing at all. When I built it on this computer there were alot of dependencies.

Yes some python modules, and gstreamer related dependencies.

The gui starts, but will not function

Hi
If you start from the command line, what’s the output like? Also which openSUSE release and Desktop?

As in the GUI buttons not working to start, save?

Hi All,

I have installed both celtx and freeseer.

Celtx was installed using the .rpm. The install was done using apper, no dependency issues appeared. But, I am not sure if they were being met during the install. The app appeared to launch correctly, but I was not to be able to just “click” to start my own screen capture, but needed to launch a full project. The examples of projects given did not launch. I was familiar with RecordMyDesktop, where I simply could start / stop screen capture. Of course, there is a learning curve here, but am not sure if all the capabilities of this app
were installed correctly. I hope this is making sense.

I installed freeseer from Yast. I launched the app, and got both an icon in my task bar tray and a window on my desktop. I closed the window, and this resulted in a non-functioning icon. I had to re-boot to get rid of it. On re-boot I minimized the freeseer desktop tray and right clicked the icon, got a small menu, and clicked “record”. There was a change in the icon with a little red dot appearing, meaning I think that I was recording. I did a few things on my desktop, then tried to stop recording. No luck. I then had to re-boot. I tried a few more times, with different approaches, but - again - no success. I went looking for any possible output, and found some .ogg files in my video folder. However, these files were empty. I am tending towards freeseer for its simplicity, but it does have issues.

I look forward to replies.

Hi jj,
As I mentioned in earlier post the freeseer from packman need command changes to work.
You can edit the launcher and change the command. malcolmlewis packaged us a working freeseer not long ago.
Here is an old thread regarding freeseer that might help you. You can find the link to the package of malcolm here.It is working here at my side.
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/462839-how-launch-freeseer-anyone-have-working.html

As an aside:
When you get it to work, you might as well click the star button for malcolmlewis for another reputation.:wink:

Regards

I tried the noarch rpm and it is working.
I made a test by recording movements on my desktop.

To add to this post.
I am using openSUSE 12.1 with kde 4.8.2
python installed here is
python-kde4 and pythonqt4-devel.

conram,

I have been through the thread that you mentioned and ran the following in terminal:

freeseer-record
freeseer-talkeditor
freeseer-config

I made changes were I thought necessary. However, I get the icon in the tray, press record in the icon’s menu, but can’t stop the recording. In video files I do get an .ogg file, but no content. Once again I am going to have to re-boot.

Hi.
I am using malcolmlewis freeseer package. I can click the record and to where that record button
it becomes stop button and clicking it will stop the recording. There is a preference button see if
there are option to be change at your side.

The kazam that malcolmlewis built is working also and it looks nicer than freeseer. I haven’t played much
of it but seems there’s a lot that you can do.

I concur

12.1, x86_64, KDE 4.8.2

If you start from the command line, what’s the output like? … As in the GUI buttons not working to start, save?
starting kazam from console yields

ERROR (23:08:20): Could not find any typelib for AppIndicator3

pressing the record button yields

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/kazam/app.py", line 354, in cb_record_clicked
    from kazam.backend.gstreamer import Screencast
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/kazam/backend/gstreamer.py", line 33, in <module>
    import pygst
ImportError: No module named pygst

The drop down menus are responsive, but the “record region” and “record” buttons are unresponsive. The system tray icon appears to have an incomplete menu – clicking on it reveals blackened “quit” and ”record setup” options, greyed out “Pause recording” and “Finish recording” entries, and some obvious blank spots in the menu.

Hi
AppIndicator3 is not an issue (I updated the spec file to exclude).

You need to install python-gstreamer-0_10

More errors like that will help to identify the requires on this one.

up 10:17, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

Hi Malcolm,

okay

You need to install python-gstreamer-0_10
Okay … I installed freeser just after the last post and doing that had already added it (and a number of other deps too)

More errors like that will help to identify the requires on this one.

Okay, happy to report several successful fullscreen caps of the primary monitor’s display (as well as capturing audio, using “monitor” soundcard), when set to VP8/WebM. Just tried the a “combined” cap for multimonitors and that worked too

However, I do note that when the record button is clicked, console reports the following error

/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gobject/constants.py:24: Warning: g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion `g_type_from_name (name) == 0' failed
  import gobject._gobject
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)

Also, after finishing recording > continue > (enter filename) and then click save, the following error is produced in console output

(kazam:7336): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to retrieve the file info for `file:///home/tyler/Documents/Videos/Untitled_Screencast8.webm': Error stating file '/home/tyler/Documents/Videos/Untitled_Screencast8.webm': No such file or directory

Nonetheless, the files are indeed saved and do playback just fine with the likes of s/mplayer etc.

Trying to “record region” is also still unresponsive (and no errors shown in console output). Have to quit the app in order to do anything else after clicking “record region” as it seems to hang the app.

Unfortunately, attempting to use H.264/Matroska does not work … console output in this case is

/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gobject/constants.py:24: Warning: g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion `g_type_from_name (name) == 0' failed
  import gobject._gobject
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/kazam/app.py", line 384, in cb_record_clicked
    region)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/kazam/backend/gstreamer.py", line 74, in setup_sources
    self.setup_video_source()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/kazam/backend/gstreamer.py", line 141, in setup_video_source
    self.videnc = gst.element_factory_make("x264enc", "video_encoder")
gst.ElementNotFoundError: x264enc

TIA