My Dell Studio 15 laptop arrived earlier today. I booted to an openSUSE-11.1 beta5 live CD (with KDE4) and tested audio. I am not used to KDE4 so I was on unfamiliar territory.
Initially no audio with the speaker test I normally apply:speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twavThe speaker test kept freezing despite my trying various mixer settings. No sound.
I then ran alsaconf. Tested the audio (with the above speaker test). Again, the test kept freezing despite my trying various mixer settings. No sound.
I then applied the line “options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6” to the end of the /etc/modprobe.d/sound file. No sound, and again the test kept freezing.
I then went into YaST > Hardware > Sound and selected the advanced option to test the sound. I applied through YaST the “dell-m6” in the gui area to specify the model. I tested the sound under yast. There was sound !!
I then closed yast and tried the above sound test, … no sound as a regular user nor as root. Bizzare !! Then it occured to me, … maybe the Dell doesn’t like my sound test. Duuuuhhhhhh
So I tried this as a sound test:speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twavsound worked as a regular user with the modifed test !!!
So now I am thinking of users who reported this problem, asked me for help, and I could not help them, until I encountered this myself. Sigh. Do we just get slower and dumber with age? :shame:
So I plugged in a headset in one of the two headset output jacks. Speaker sound was muted (good) BUT there was no headset sound! (bad).
So I plugged the headset in the second headset output jack. Speaker sound was not muted (bad) but headset sound worked ! (good). But headset volume was not independant and was tied into the speaker volume (bad).
Which means both headsets are unusable.
So I looked at the /cat/etc/modprobe.d/sound file and noted the line I prevous put as an option “options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6” was put as the first line in the file by YaST. So I changed it to the last line, restarted alsa, and it made no difference.
Hmmm… this could be a KDE4 glitch, but I don’t think so. I think this is an alsa glitch. I may have to write a bug report on this. I noted my tsalsa was this:
tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)
and my installed apps in openSUSE-11.1 beta5:
linux@linux:~> rpm -qa | grep alsa
linux@linux:~> rpm -q libasound2
linux@linux:~> rpm -qa | grep pulse
linux@linux:~> uname -a
Linux linux 22.214.171.124-2-default #1 SMP 2008-11-11 15:15:33 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
linux@linux:~> cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
# u1Nb.ifylLOqC327:82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6
Anyway, this is a live CD install. We will need to see how a real 11.1 beta5 install works.