Dell M4500 black screen, no video after first restart

Hi, I am new to this forum and would like help because I am having trouble during the openSUSE 11.3 installation on my new computer. Basically after it is done copying files and once it restarts for the first time during the installation to do the automatic configuration no video appears and the screen is black.:frowning:

The laptop hardware is:

intel QM57 chipset
i7 extreme 920xm
quadro fx 1800m

Please help, I am tired of windows 7 and it’s deficiencies and would like to continue using this great operating system on my new computer.

So it looks like you have an nVidia chipset. On reboot, it looks like you want to add the kernel option called nomodeset, which you type in in the grub menu options line before you start your openSUSE session. For more information I would read the following information.

SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE

Then, take a look at the procedure I use to install the nVidia driver as I install openSUSE 11.3:

1. During the install, when you have the option to change your booting setup, I add nomodeset to the kernel load command for the normal load/start of openSUSE. This kernel startup option is already present for the Failsafe selection for openSUSE.
  2. During the first start of openSUSE, I download the latest nVidia Video driver to the downloads folder.
  3. I change/save the System/Kernel option NO_KMS_IN_INITRD from “No” to “Yes” in the /etc/sysconfig Editor in Yast.
  4. I do an update of openSUSE on the first run of openSUSE and then a restart/reboot.
  5. In grub OS selection I add the command line option “3” to the openSUSE start line so that I just go to the run level three terminal prompt.
  6. I login in as root and change to the /home/user/Downloads folder.
  7. I run/install the NVIDIA video driver using “sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.44.run” and answer all questions as appropriate for my system.
  8. Type in reboot at terminal prompt to restart the system with new video driver.

Thank You,

Thank You for your help:), I really appreciate it. That article explains everything well. I did not have much time for research but next time I will perform more in depth research on the openSUSE website and on the internet. I am still new to this stuff.