Dell Inspiron wireless hell

I have an old Inspiron 1545 (Dual core pentium, 4Gb of RAM) with a Broadcom wireless card. Followed tips this forum to get it installed (both methods, downloading the tar file, and then after that by adding the community packman repositories).

When I click in the top right corner of the Gnome menu (I have OpenSuse 13.2 Gnome), I can select Wifi (says not connected) but when I click on ‘Select Network’ it just keeps spinning endlessly (it doesn’t find anything) whereas all other devices in our home have no issue whatsoever finding several wifi networks (ours and those of our neighbours).

Don’t know what to try next…

Well, first of all, it would be a good idea to tell what exact Broadcom wireless device you are using. “/sbin/lspci -nnk” should tell.

Then, GNOME’s network icon is just a frontend to NetworkManager, so you need to have NetworkManager running.
Enter YaST->Network Devices->Network Settings->General Options, and switch from “Wicked Service” to “NetworkManager”, if applicable.

It’s a Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g adaptor, Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN mini card…

But never mind, I must have pressed the wireless hotkey on the keyboard, works now

I feel so stupid :embarrassed:

Thanks all the same…