Dell Inspiron 1526 ATI RAEDON Installation Failure-Help!

I have a Dell Insprion 1526 Laptop and have tried to install OpenSUSE 11 (KDE 4 & 3.5) with no success. The installation seems to go fine but then when it starts for the first time and after, the graphics are messed up. The screen is either blank or with just white windows. Even the ‘FailSafe mode’ gets stuck in a loop that I cant break out of and have to pwr off. The specs for the Laptop are:

Dell Inspiron 1526. Service Tag: 21VDMD1
AMD Turion 64 x2, 2Ghz.
2GB DDR RAM.
ATI RADEON Express 1270 graphics with Hyper memory.
1280x800 XGA Screen.

It came installed with and works fine with Vista, so I am running a dual boot. Previously I had the latest version of Ubuntu running fine, but removed it and re-formatted the partitions for a ‘clean’ install of SUSE.

I have spent much time on this and realize that I probably need to install the proprietary ATI drivers. I can do the Ctrl-Alt-F1 and get into the terminal (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace 2x just takes me to a white screen) but cannot seem to even download the ATI driver file using wget.

I am not an experienced Linux user when it comes to terminal commands and have not found a good step-by-step how to do this.

Could someone please help?? I would really like to get rid of Vis-Duh.

Thanx,

Olav

Since you can get to the terminal via Ctrl+Alt+F1, have you tried resetting the xorg.conf by using Sax2? Try this

sax2 -r -m 0=vesa

and reboot.
Note that that is a zero, not the letter o.

The other option I can think of is to download the fglrx rpm in Windows, boot into suse, go to the terminal, and copy the file from your Windows drive to the linux side, and then run it from there.

Oh, another option is to try to manually add the ATI repo using zypper. I’m not 100% sure on the syntax for this, but it might be something like

zypper addrepo http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.0/ 

You can then add the driver by doing

zypper in ati-fglrxG01-kmp-default, x11-video-fglrxG01 

Once it is done installing

aticonfig --initial
sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx

Hopefully one of these ideas helps you out.

good day.

I have a Laptop Dell Inspiron 1420 with Suse 10.2 KDE Distribution, but i need install sound drivers, video drivers and webcam one.

I know exist any software that give win drivers to use ones on linux, but i don’t know what or where download that.

Can you help my ??

You could start by reading some openSUSE Linux concepts:
Concepts - openSUSE

Then for your sound, read some openSUSE sound concepts:
Sound-concepts - openSUSE

Note openSUSE comes with alsa drivers for your sound. If they don’t work for you, try working your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

For your webcam, go to this openSUSE wiki page:
HCL/Web Cameras - openSUSE