Dell Inspiron 1525 trackpad problem....

Hi, I just tried the openSUSE live cd on this laptop and I notice the track pad mouse movements r very jerky I mean that I have to continuously keep on trying to force the cursor in one direction and then it finally goes there all of a sudden.

I hope people understand what I mean. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had all sorts of problems with the touch pad on my 1720 (Eventually it stopped working) and 1420. I fixed them by going into Computer > Control Center > Touchpad > Acceleration Then Just adjust your setting till the touch pad feel comfortable.

Yeah, that touch pad on the 1525 has a really odd texture to it already that makes me not like using it in the first place.

I’m working on installing SuSE on that very same model for a friend, and the touch pad was a pain. I installed KSynaptics and tweaked it there, but YaST did the trick until then.

The texture that the 1525 uses for it’s touch pad is a lot different then what I am used to with my 1501, and seems to require a lot more pressure to make it do anything, so you have to adjust the sensitivity.

Are you planning on installing SuSE on it? If you do, let me know how Ndiswrapper works for you with the wireless - it has the BCM4311 wireless chip, so it isn’t supported with b43-fwcutter. Another reason I prefer my 1501.

I have been having a similar problem on Dell Latitude D830 (running openSUSE 11.0 with gnome). By disabling, under Computer/Control Center/Touchpad Preferences, the “Enable horizontal scrolling” and “Enable circular scrolling”, the cursor movements were liberated.

Weird bug?

i also disabled scrolling, which improved it immensely, but it still is somewhat erratic. I have the speed turned up to maximum (I like a fast tracker pad), also the acceleration, but it still lags then catches up. Any ideas?

Btw I’m a newbie :X

I have a 1420 that had this problem. Then in Yast I noticed there were two touchpads listed in Sax2, so I removed the second. Suddenly, the touchpad was far more responsive, less jerky, etc. After some adjustments in KDE4’s mouse configuration, it worked great, and I can use horizontal scrolling (it’s pretty useful sometimes, actually).

Thanks so much! I found that it had decided there was a PS2 mouse there (hardly likely in a laptop with no PS2 port), removed it and now the pointer is moving at the speed of light!

ok, now i can’t access the touchpad control in the yast control, it says “GSynaptics couldn’t initialize.
You have to set ‘SHMConfig’ ‘true’ in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics”

I’m a complete newbie (installed Suse last night for the first timelol!), and need step by step instructions, sorry! :’(

Is there any particular reason you would like to use Gsynaptics? I don’t use it myself, as the KDE mouse configuration works for what I need. But if you do need to use Gsynaptics, as root, open /etc/X11/xorg.conf with a text editor (like Kate) and find the section for your touchpad and either change it to true, or add a line with that option

Option          "SHMConfig"       "true"

save, then restart X by restarting or ctl-alt-backspace. As always create a backup xorg.conf before you do this, as root:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.bak

Beware that running Sax2 will overwrite any changes you have made manually to xorg.conf, so you will have to do this again if you need to change settings with Sax2.

I’m using GNOME not KDE…

I don’t understand the choice of using gsynaptics, it’s just the error message that comes up when i try to access the touchpad controls.

I tried typing what you said into the gnome terminal but it didn’t recognise it. I’m really crap at this lol

Ah, ok- sorry I was not more detailed. You will want to first make a backup of xorg.conf.

In Gnome terminal, type:

su

and then enter the root password. In order to perform operations on the following (important) system files, you need superuser privileges. Also, commands are case sensitive.

Now type:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.bak

This makes a backup of your existing xorg configuration file.

Now type:

gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Find the place in the file where it describes the input device, under a header called Section “Input Device”. If there is a line for “SHMConfig”, but it is not set to “true”, change it to “true”. If there is no reference to it, add one like this:

Option          "SHMConfig"       "true"

Now, save the file, and either restart the computer, or press ctl-alt-backspace to restart xorg.

It worked!!!

Thanks sooo so much x

Hiya

I have installed 11.0 on my 1525. I had a bit of trouble getting the wireless to work (mainly because I had made a mistake!) but it works very well with ndiswrapper. Let me know if you want me to send you the drivers. (I found a pruned down version-1 meg instead of 100!

:slight_smile:

Hi all. I have got dell studio 1535. After a couple of days I noticed that my mouse cursor is moving very erratic. E.G. If you touch touchpad and move cursor in circle it’s like jaming / stopping every 5 seconds for 0.5 sec.
I have done diagnostic, I reinstalled vista, still this same.
I’ve called dell, next day they send engineer. He changed all touchpad in laptop still this same, then he went to bios to install devices and test mouse problem still exhist. He called dell for new motherboard, normally they would say to him did u check this and that but with this case they said - no problem… So it has to be problem exhisting with mouse touchpad not on itself touchpad but there is fault with motherboard.

I have

core dual processor 2.5 Ghz
4 GB ram
250 GB disc on 5400 rpm
256 graphic memory…

Only cursor is jaming the graphic is working fine…

Any ideas??

I’m trying to disable the touchpad on my dell inspiron 1525. I’ve been searching the web and not having much luck. My configs don’t match what others are seeing. I’m running openSUSE 11 and going into computer > YaST > hardware > mouse model and then unchecking “activate this pointer” in mouse 2 which is labeled as ALPS touchpad. I’ve also gone into /etc/X11/XF86Config and midly edited that to no avail. Here are my 2 “touchpad” entries in that file:

Section “InputDevice”
Driver “synaptics”
Identifier “Mouse[3]”
Option “AccelFactor” “0.01”
Option “BottomEdge” “650”
Option “CircScrollDelta” “0.1”
Option “CircScrollTrigger” “2”
Option “CircularScrolling” “1”
Option “Device” “/dev/input/mice”
Option “EdgeMotionMaxSpeed” “15”
Option “EdgeMotionMinSpeed” “15”
Option “Emulate3Buttons” “on”
Option “EmulateMidButtonTime” “75”
Option “FingerHigh” “15”
Option “FingerLow” “14”
Option “HorizScrollDelta” “20”
Option “LeftEdge” “120”
Option “MaxSpeed” “0.5”
Option “MaxTapMove” “110”
Option “MaxTapTime” “0”
Option “MinSpeed” “0.2”
Option “Name” “Touchpad”
Option “Protocol” “auto-dev”
Option “RightEdge” “830”
Option “SHMConfig” “off”
Option “TopEdge” “120”
Option “UpDownScrolling” “1”
Option “Vendor” “ALPS”
Option “VertScrollDelta” “20”
Option “ZAxisMapping” “4 5”
EndSection

Section “InputDevice”
Driver “synaptics”
Identifier “Mouse[5]”
Option “AccelFactor” “0.01”
Option “BottomEdge” “650”
Option “CircScrollDelta” “0.1”
Option “CircScrollTrigger” “2”
Option “CircularScrolling” “1”
Option “Device” “/dev/input/mice”
Option “EdgeMotionMaxSpeed” “15”
Option “EdgeMotionMinSpeed” “15”
Option “Emulate3Buttons” “on”
Option “EmulateMidButtonTime” “75”
Option “FingerHigh” “15”
Option “FingerLow” “14”
Option “HorizScrollDelta” “20”
Option “LeftEdge” “120”
Option “MaxSpeed” “0.5”
Option “MaxTapMove” “110”
Option “MaxTapTime” “0”
Option “MinSpeed” “0.2”
Option “Name” “Touchpad”
Option “Protocol” “auto-dev”
Option “RightEdge” “830”
Option “SHMConfig” “off”
Option “TopEdge” “120”
Option “UpDownScrolling” “1”
Option “Vendor” “ALPS”
Option “VertScrollDelta” “20”
Option “ZAxisMapping” “4 5”
EndSection

I changed 2 items in each of these… the “SHMConfig” in both, it was “on” and I changed it to “off”. Also “MaxTapTime” was “180” and I made it “0”

I am a total noob in linux and am learning but this one has me. I don’t use the touchpad because it sucks and I use a usb mouse.

Thanks for any assistance you gurus can provide.

Found this in another thread…

“To totally disable it (if you have alternate mouse), simply issue cmd:
synclient TouchpadOff=1
in console each time you login.”

but that doesn’t work for me. I get this…

Can’t access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?

RawHedRex wrote:
> Found this in another thread…
>
> “To totally disable it (if you have alternate mouse), simply issue
> cmd:
> synclient TouchpadOff=1
> in console each time you login.”
>
> but that doesn’t work for me. I get this…
>
> Can’t access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?

Does it work with ‘sudo synclient TouchpadOff=1’? That command surely
needs root privilege.

Larry

I had only tried it as root. I tried using sudo and got the same error.

I have a dell studio 17
for some reason, if i tap my trackpad it registers as a click.
keeping in mind that i am a TOTAL newb…how do i get this to stop? I can’t find the option in YaST…