deleted file now can't get to login screen

I installed LEAP 42.2 Gnome today and was learning it. I have mostly been using ubuntu-based distros if not ubuntu itself, and haven’t had much success with openSUSE. Anyways, I was trying to get MultiMC to work on openSUSE, which is a Minecraft launcher that allows many different instances with different mod combinations. Plain Minecraft worked fine from terminal, but my kids like mods. So I downloaded the MultiMC tar, extracted it, moved it to home, then in terminal navigated to the MultiMC folder and did the ./MultiMC command, which should have worked. Instead I kept getting an error regarding something about libc.so.6 or something like that. As the pc involved is not running anymore, I can’t look at more details and be more specific. So I googled that error, and another thread said to delete a file that was named similarly, so that is what I did. Things then stopped responding or opening, so I logged out and tried to log back in. I couldn’t get back to the login screen. So I rebooted multiple times, and each time the pc was stuck on the loading screen with the diamond shape and three dots. I never got to the login screen again. I tried advanced options to load in the grub, but there was only one kernel listed since it is a new installation. What is an easier and less time consuming fix than reinstallation?

Specs:
-new installation of openSUSE LEAP 42.2
-Oracle Java 8
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz and I had attempted to install the proprietary driver for the processor microcode through YAST, but it was still slower than it should have been compared to Ubuntu Gnome 16.04
-4 GB RAM
-NVIDIA 6xx series graphics card with proprietary driver

Hi
Oh dear… make a mental note to a) note the file location and b) copy it somewhere (as root user) eg /root/ to ensure nothing breaks :wink:

So, you need to boot from the install medium in rescue mode or a live cd/usb device. It’s a softlink, so may still be there…

So then mount your system drive (where X is the / partition) eg;

mount /dev/sdaX /mnt
cd /mnt/lib
ls libc*

Does the file libc-2.22.so still exist, but no libc.so.6 in the output?

If no libc.so.6 is present then;

ln -s libc-2.22.so libc.so.6
ls -la libc*

Reboot and see how it goes…

If you still have the install DVD (if you did not use it, download it and burn it to DVD or USB. Apparently, you will have to use another machine to do that):

Simply insert the installer & choose to “Upgrade”. Make certain you are using the installer for the same version you have installed, ie: If you have 42.1, use the 42.1 installer, if you have 42.2 (which you said), use the 42.2 installer.

This upgrade will restore the system files to installed state and should correct your error. Once the upgrade is complete, boot up, log into your desktop, and run all updates.

This should get you back up and running.

Thank you both for your help. In /mnt/lib there was a libc.so.6 and a libc-2.22.so but I did notice what looked like two error files in red, libcom_err.so.2 and libcom_err.so.2.1 so I deleted those with the rm command. Still wouldn’t work, but I noticed that there was a delay in the reboot while the pc was trying to contact other devices on the same LAN. So I unplugged everything but essential stuff, and tried again. Still no luck.

I didn’t notice the upgrade option in the net installation cd earlier today, but I will try again. I also had downloaded the full installation iso for dvd, so I will try that too if there isn’t an upgrade option for the net installation. They are both for 42.2 and downloaded today, so they should be the same version.

Hi
OK, so in red means broken symlinks, this is what should exist;

ls -la libc*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1909720 Oct 18 06:55 libc-2.22.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      14 Nov 29 19:23 libcap.so.2 -> libcap.so.2.22
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   18076 Oct 18 04:50 libcap.so.2.22
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  190772 Oct 18 06:55 libcidn-2.22.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      15 Nov 29 19:22 libcidn.so.1 -> libcidn-2.22.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      24 Nov 29 19:23 libcom_err.so.2 -> /usr/lib/libcom_err.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      26 Nov 29 19:23 libcom_err.so.2.1 -> /usr/lib/libcom_err.so.2.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   59800 Oct 18 06:55 libcrypt-2.22.so
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1940320 Oct 18 05:53 libcrypto.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      16 Nov 29 19:22 libcrypt.so.1 -> libcrypt-2.22.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      12 Nov 29 19:22 libc.so.6 -> libc-2.22.so

Perhaps follow Malcolm’s directions, first. If that fails, then go to the upgrade route. The upgrade option shows after you choose the install option: Upgrade installed system or something similar should show up then. If you do nothing – abort – at this point, no changes are made to the system, so you can safely check.

On Sat 17 Dec 2016 10:06:01 PM CST, sgian wrote:

I installed LEAP 42.2 Gnome today and was learning it. I have mostly
been using ubuntu-based distros if not ubuntu itself, and haven’t had
much success with openSUSE. Anyways, I was trying to get MultiMC to
work on openSUSE, which is a Minecraft launcher that allows many
different instances with different mod combinations. Plain Minecraft
worked fine from terminal, but my kids like mods. So I downloaded the
MultiMC tar, extracted it, moved it to home, then in terminal navigated
to the MultiMC folder and did the ./MultiMC command, which should have
worked. Instead I kept getting an error regarding something about
libc.so.6 or something like that. As the pc involved is not running
anymore, I can’t look at more details and be more specific. So I
googled that error, and another thread said to delete a file that was
named similarly, so that is what I did. Things then stopped responding
or opening, so I logged out and tried to log back in. I couldn’t get
back to the login screen. So I rebooted multiple times, and each time
the pc was stuck on the loading screen with the diamond shape and three
dots. I never got to the login screen again. I tried advanced options
to load in the grub, but there was only one kernel listed since it is a
new installation. What is an easier and less time consuming fix than
reinstallation?

Specs:
-new installation of openSUSE LEAP 42.2
-Oracle Java 8
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz and I had attempted to install the
proprietary driver for the processor microcode through YAST, but it was
still slower than it should have been compared to Ubuntu Gnome 16.04
-4 GB RAM
-NVIDIA 6xx series graphics card with proprietary driver

Hi
So, if you get your system back up and running, this is the error you
see;

./MultiMC
MultiMC Dir: /repositories/Downloads/MultiMC
No missing dependencies found.
/repositories/Downloads/MultiMC/bin/MultiMC: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6: undefined symbol: xcb_wait_for_reply64

When you get errors like this, in actual fact it’s the file (in my
case) /repositories/Downloads/MultiMC/bin/libxcb.so.1 that needs
removing so it uses the system library… then all should be good.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.36-41-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

I did the upgrade route and that fixed the system. I made a new thread in games about the error that malcom just described this morning before giving an update here, so I just noticed the possible fix for MultiMC and will try it now. Thank you both for your help.

Malcom even fixed my MultiMC problem before I gave specific details. You two are impressive. Thank you.

Malcolm’s impressive!

I’m just crazy!:wink:

… glad you are running again. Happy openSUSEing!