Defaulting to new graphics card

I have upgraded my graphics adaptor and cannot disable the on-board adaptor so sax2 -p shows me me both adaptors.
Exactly what parameters do I add to the boot.lst so that the newer card is used as the default.
Budgie2

Budgie2 wrote:

>
> I have upgraded my graphics adaptor and cannot disable the on-board
> adaptor so sax2 -p shows me me both adaptors.
> Exactly what parameters do I add to the boot.lst so that the newer
> card is used as the default.
> Budgie2
>
>
did you look in the motherboard bios?

Suse 11.1 x64, Kde 4.2beta, Opera 10.x weekly

I started there. All I can do is change interrupt priority or disable. If I disable the “slot” against which the on board graphics adaptor is listed in Yast hardware, then I lose my boot drive too which is on a PCI SCSI adaptor, albeit not with the same slot ID. Strange but I have given up on this. It should not be necessary anyhow provided the boot list commands are correct.

Further to this, where oh where can I find a list of Sax2 modules for use with the -m command. I had to find out by trial and error. The description which the probe sax2 -p came up with gave “Chip 1 -> Matrox MGA 2164W …” How on earth was I to know that this required sax2 -r -m 1=mga.

I found by trial and error and consulting the logs but it took ages. Also the man pages for sax2 are less helpful than the comments which appeared when I got the syntax wrong with the sax2 commands. When is OpenSuse going to get decent and consistent and up to date documentation?

You should be able to disable it in bios

/Geoff

Like I said, I cannot as it is not mentioned in the bios setup.

If there is no option to disable the onboard card in the bios, it will be hard for suse to recognize the second graphic card. Does anything mentioned about the onboard card in the bios?

Nothing, only PCI controls regarding priority and if I disable the “slot” in which the on board graphics devisce is shown, it messes up the PCI bus so the SCSI card falls over.

I have in fact found how to edit the X11 configuration file from the command line so that sax2 goes to the correct card. On board card is device 0, my added card is device 1. If I issue comand sax2 -r -m 1 mga that resets the config file so all is well with mode 5. Not sure what happens if I drop down to mode 3 and try and get back to mode 5, but as I do not have to do this often I am OK for now with screen. Will check to see if resources are being wasted but at least I am up and running.

Thanks for the replies.
Budgie2