Day 2 with Linux. Ext3 Errors.

Thanks to the help of the friendly users on the forums, I’ve overcome my Error 25 problem for GRUB.

Now after the fresh install and despite the auto repair, I’m getting different errors.

The Ext3 file system of the partitions /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3 are corrupted, and clicking “repair” didn’t do the trick. There was an “Error reading block 175 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read). /dev/sda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY”

Additionally, I have the red “error” word next to all 4 categories in the “fstab” portion of the error check.

I have seen your other thread.

Considering this my advice is. Download and burn Parted Magic
Downloads - Parted Magic

Use it to wipe your disk and format the entire drive to ext3.

Now re-install openSUSE.
Create these partitions
swap
/
/home

swap is traditionally 2x RAM but 2GB should be plenty
/ (this is the root partition and should be ext3 format) 20GB
/home (this is your user files section) Make it as big as you can

Install Grub to the MBR.
http://files.myopera.com/carl4926/albums/671478/19.png

Maybe if you watch this it will help
Watch a SUSE 11.1 install Slideshow - openSUSE Forums

Install Demo - With Pics and Video - openSUSE Forums

Thank you. I’ll follow these steps. By the way, the installation automatically creates those partitions, right? I just need to reallocate the space?

Additionally, GRUB defaults to “Boot from Boot Partition.” Should I go out of my way to change that after it installs openSUSE?

The installer will automatically create partitions on a drive formatted as I described. You can format the entire disk from within the installer. But you have to use custom partitioning really to do it the way I describe. The videos should help with that.

On the other hand, if you start with a drive that is wiped, you don’t actually have to format it, the installer will do it for you. In this case the installer will/should actually propose very close to what I have suggested. It’s just that I always do it manually.

Re; Grub. I suggest you change this to what I suggested.
When you get to the install summary, go to the Booting section and change as shown in the Pic. I posted.

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 02:36 +0000, arakavaz wrote:
> Thanks to the help of the friendly users on the forums, I’ve overcome my
> Error 25 problem for GRUB.
>
> Now after the fresh install and despite the auto repair, I’m getting
> different errors.
>
> The Ext3 file system of the partitions /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3 are
> corrupted, and clicking “repair” didn’t do the trick. There was an
> “Error reading block 175 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted
> in short read). /dev/sda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY”

It’s a hardware or hardware + driver issue. Check your bios config for
the drive… might be some options to adjust there. That is especially
true of the fundamentally insane fRAID SATA controllers. Might need to
dumb (well… actually “correct”) things down on the SATA controller.
Possibly an issue if you’re dual booting (by why would anyone do that?).

Barring that, then it’s probably a pure hardware issue, check board,
cabling, drives, etc.

In the video, I noticed a creation of a swap, root, and home as the primaries. A new partition was created as extended, and I don’t understand why. I thought /home was the “extra space for your personal use” part.

I could use some clarification here please.

Previously with Windows, I’d have 3 partitions. C: for system files, D: for data, and F: for programs (I’d install programs and keep installation files here).

With Linux, would I be installing programs into /home? Or /root?

Would I ever touch /swap? How would it work?

If you let the installer create the partitions it will create an extended partition with logical partitions inside. It’s OK.
Programs are installed in / (root)
It’s a totally different concept to windows.
I never bother trying to keep programs from one install to another, some do, by creating yet more partitions. I advise not to for new user.
All your settings are in /home
/home can be preserved between installs, so you don’t loose all your personal files, email messages etc…

swap is a virtual memory (sort of like a page file in M$)

If all this doesn’t work. Might want to look at what @cjcox said. He knows his stuff.

Same problem overhere. Installed 11.2 with a boot, swap and root and an LVM with USR OPT SRV HOME etc. Eveything works fine till I shut down the PC. Start up, login as root, ony an empty desktop. Insert DVD choose repair installed system, and home and root are corrupted. Installed 11.2 again with the same as above, and again after a shutdown same thing, again a corruption. Never had this with 10.3 and same disk formatting.

Mark

Could be hardware. Bad Disk sectors will cause this. Run a low level disk scan to be sure . I use Spinrite but it is not a free program. You should be able to get scan software from your disk manufactures web site.

I was just going to say this. A dying hard disk can cause these issues. Once a drive starts having bad sectors, it WILL get worse.