Customize default user profile

Hi all,

I’ve been searching for hours but it seems nobody’s doing that…
I’d like to make a custom default profile that would be used each time a new user is created. For example I set up a profile with all the settings I usually use - mainly KDE4’s theme and shortcuts, FireFox settings, and so on - and then use that as a model that would be used when I create a new user.

It there a way to do that?

Thanks.

Seb.

PS: OpenSUSE 11.1 / KDE 4.2

A ‘man useradd’ gives the details. Look at the -skel option. The simplest is to copy selected files to /etc/skel directory.

Thanks, I’ll have a look at it.
Is it that simple? Just take some config files - that may for example contain the full home path, including the user’s login name - and copy them there? I guess I will have some replacements to make…
To be more specific I’ve just set up an LDAP + Kerberos + NFS4 server (it’s been quite difficult but now it works great!) and I want users which don’t exist on the clients, with homes on the server, to all use the same default setting when they log in for the first time. Maybe there’ll even be a way to put the model on the server… Can I change the path that the clients take their models from? Probably somewhere in YaST in the default settings for new users, I’ll have a look at that too…

Thanks.

Seb.

Basically. You are correct about being careful with the contents of the files you use to populate the skeleton directory.

• Watch out for paths in files
  • Watch out for personal content (SSH keys, wallet files, browser history)

To be more specific I’ve just set up an LDAP + Kerberos + NFS4 server (it’s been quite difficult but now it works great!) and I want users which don’t exist on the clients, with homes on the server, to all use the same default setting when they log in for the first time. Maybe there’ll even be a way to put the model on the server… Can I change the path that the clients take their models from? Probably somewhere in YaST in the default settings for new users, I’ll have a look at that too…
The skeleton directory is copied from the machine you use when adding the account, not when the user first logs in. So, if you always create the accounts on the server and that is where the updated skeleton directory exists, you should be OK. Alternately, if you anticipate creating accounts on other machines, rsync the skeleton directory to all machines, or NFS mount the server’s /etc/skel directory.