Custom desktop icons in plasma 5?

Tumbleweed version 20150714, i586, Plasma5 desktop. I used to have custom desktop icons which could run a script. I could not fine anything on doing this. I tried modifying existing icons (image and/or command) but this feature does not seem to be there any more. Is there a way to have custom desktop items in Plasma 5?
Regards
Uli

Do you mean Oxygencolors version 6.3?

Thanks, Sagemta but I don’t know what you mean - I have the standard desktop (Breeze - Default Plasma 5 Theme). But I would like to have some icons referring to shell scripts for computer users who don’t know much on scripts. E.g. to mount and unmount drives etc. Further there is the programme MediathekView which runs from a shell script. Previously (and on the 13.2 machines) I made up icons and put them on the desktop. With a right click on the Icons (when unlocked) and a click on properties (spanner icon) you could give the Icons a new image, a new name and a path to a command. This feature is no longer there in Plasma 5.

I had that problem. So I went to Folder View settings and changed Location settings from “Show the desktop folder” to “Specify a folder” (where I specified file:///home/john/Desktop). Then I was able to construct and run stuff on the desktop.

Ooops sorry, it’s a bit different from that, there’s a bit more to it. [Keeping up is hard. ]

What I do now is browse in Dolphin to the the Desktop folder, and use Dolphin to R-click → Create new → Link to application → point to the script

I suppose, just to be thorough, I should also tell you that this works too, just as well: browse in Dolphin to the the Desktop folder, and use Dolphin to R-click → Create new → Basic link to file or directory → point to the script

So to be clear, with scripts as targets you can use

Basic link to file or directory

and you can use

Link to application

as your linkage

Thank you very much, swerdna, I did what you wrote and could create that file under ~/Desktop in Dolphin and when I click on it the application opens - all fine except the icon is not seen on the desktop - only in the folder ~/Desktop. You wrote

So I went to Folder View settings and changed Location settings from “Show the desktop folder” to “Specify a folder” (where I specified file:///home/john/Desktop). Then I was able to construct and run stuff on the desktop.

I don’t know what you mean there - is there a setting somewhere to make these items in the ~/Desktop folder visible on the desktop? If so I didn’t find it.

OK - I found it. Just for those reading this thread:
Right click anywhere on the empty desktop -> Desktop Settings
There change under Layout from Desktop to Folder View -> OK
There were a few other folders which I didn’t want to show so I renamed them into hidden files with a dot (.) before the name.
Cheers
Uli

It’s a challenge… :slight_smile: