current guide for either virutalbox or vmware player

Can someone kindly direct me to a guide to install virtualbox or vmware player on openSUSE 12.3, or any guide that will work with SUSE 12.3.

I would have just used this guide here for 12.1 – https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/unreviewed-how-faq/470594-installing-vmware-player-opensuse-12-1-a.html#post2425489 – but even the first instruction – “1) Make sure that Kernel-sources, gcc and make are installed.” – doesn’t actually tell you what the terminal command is to do that. I don’t know any of the terminal commands and basically have to rely on cut and paste.

Thanks.

On 2013-03-24 00:46, jjopen97 wrote:

> “1)
> Make sure that -Kernel-sources-, -gcc- and -make- are installed.” –
> doesn’t actually tell you what the terminal command is to do that. I
> don’t know any of the terminal commands and basically have to rely on
> cut and paste.

It is done with YaST. No command line tools required.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Or, I would just follow the wiki guide here https://en.opensuse.org/VirtualBox, on the first page second paragraph it states “VirtualBox comes with openSUSE and should work out-of-the-box” but I don’t see it in the applications in SUSE 12.3.

I do see All Applications > System > Virtualization > and then 2 programs configure Host for Virtualization & Install Xen or KVM, but I don’t think that applies to trying to run virtualbox or vmware player. Or does it? I want to install Windows 7 as a guest OS on a host openSUSE 12.3 PC.

Thanks. In Software Management?

When I search for “gcc” I see a number of results but one is simply "gcc The system GNU compiler 4.7-7.1.1)
When I search for “make” similarly I see "make GNU make (3.82-154.1.1)

Just install those?

Another Choice is to download VirtualBox from Oracle, see our article on the subject: https://forums.opensuse.org/content/59-how-install-virtualbox-opensuse-11-4-12-1-tumbleweed.html

In order to compile the VirtualBox driver, I do go into YaST and do the following tasks first following this order on tasks:

1) Open YaST / Software / Software Management - Select the View Button on the top left and pick Patterns. Now, you will see several Patterns listed and you want to select:

Development 

[X] Base Development
[X] Linux Kernel Development
[X] C/C++ Development

Then Press the Accept button on the bottom right and allow these applications to install.

2) I normally suggest that you also install dkms from Packman (From YaST Software Manager) and I have a blog on the subject Link here :DKMS & systemd - How to get Dynamic Kernel Module Support to work in openSUSE 12.1 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

3) Get the main file here (See Links): VirtualBox for openSUSE versions 11.4 / 12.1 / 12.2 / 12.3 i386 | AMD64

You Install this inside VirtualBox after VB is up and running: VirtualBox 4.2.10 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack Link: All supported platforms

Once the 32 or 64 bit version is downloaded, you can right click on the VirtualBox file, select Open With and then Exactly Pick: Install/Remove Software. To run, you can type in virtualbox in terminal, use the Alt-F2 box or find the menu entry in KDE (or gnome) installed applications.

Thank You,

@jdmcdaniel3](https://forums.opensuse.org/members/jdmcdaniel3.html)

Okay good. Thank you very much. It is starting to come back to me now. A couple years ago I had tinkered with openSUSE and I think I had successfully installed both vmware player and virutalbox, so I think I can get started.

In terms of “ease of use” or more importantly “ease of installing” would you recommend one over the other between vmware and virtualbox. I know each will have its supporters and detractors, but is one or the other generally considered easier to use for non-tech users?

@jdmcdaniel3](https://forums.opensuse.org/members/jdmcdaniel3.html)

I like the signature. What does it exactly mean? Moore’s law is computing power doubles every 24 months (or something like that), so if software efficiency halves every 18 months would that ‘accelerate Moore’s Law’ and make it faster? Is that what you mean by the use of the word ‘compensating,’ or do I have it backyards, or am I not even in the ballpark? Kindly explain if you can tolerate the questions. Thanks.

Its James again from Austin Texas - Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore’s Law.

He is saying that people are developing inefficient software

On 2013-03-24 02:46, jjopen97 wrote:

> In terms of “ease of use” or more importantly “ease of installing”
> would you recommend one over the other between vmware and virtualbox. I
> know each will have its supporters and detractors, but is one or the
> other generally considered easier to use for non-tech users?

I use vmplayer. I have used vb a little bit. I prefer the first one, but
I don’t have a real reason for it. I have not done an in-depth comparison.

Virtual box has a free open package available on the openSUSE
repositories, but I think it has some fewer features than the one
downloaded directly from Oracle.

I do have a reason for using vmware, in that it supports old operating
systems as guests, such as Windows Me or MsDOS, and VB does not
(officially). But this is not an issue for most people (it is for me).

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Kind of like my brain halves every 10 years :slight_smile:

Thanks. I think from when I used virtual machines before vmware player seemed to do better with graphics in the virtual machine.

So my hope and desire is that you get VirtualBox working properly and I can say that VB version 4.2.10 is working the best for me in some time. As for my signature, its meant to be silly, As someone that spends a lot of time writing proprietary software for Air Conditioning Control, I see that it continues to get bigger (in code size) and ever more convoluted over time. As luck would have it, computer power keeps getting better over time, making up for crappy software, we hope.

Thank You,

On 2013-03-24 04:06, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
> As for my signature, its meant to be silly, As someone that spends a
> lot of time writing proprietary software for Air Conditioning Control, I
> see that it continues to get bigger (in code size) and ever more
> convoluted over time. As luck would have it, computer power keeps
> getting better over time, making up for crappy software, we hope.

You are right.

Computer power increases a lot, so we can have crappier software that
runs faster than older and really better works of software…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Perhaps.Probably not, because i heard that brain creates new neuron linkages throughout our life. You will be forgetting old data and creating new data.
This probably happens due to limited storage capacity of human brain. It starts run "tar’ against old data and archives them. Once into the tared zone the data is effectively lost

jjopen,

For VMwareplayer

1. install this using Zypper: (Is OK to Copy &paste)
#zypper in cmake kernel-source kernel-devel kernel-syms gcc gcc-c++ linux-glibc-devel binutils gcc47 libgcc47 libgcc47-32bit libgcj47 libvmtools0 open-vm-tools open-vm-tools-gui vmware-guest-kmp-desktop

2)Install Player (I’m assuming you’ve already dl’d it to your Downloads, also DONOT C & P this)

# sh /home/yourusername/Downloads/VMware-Player-5.0.2-1031769.x86_64.bundle 
  1. while still in root do this: (OK to C&P this)
vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

This is how I did it.
If all has gone well you’ll have VMwareplayer5.

I tried to do it this way, but nothing happened after I cut and paste step 1 above. I mean I did it in the terminal, but there was no response or msg after I did it, but I know that sometimes that is normal so I figured maybe it was okay.

I didn’t know how to do step 2 since you said not to Cut and Paste.

So I just followed this guide here https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/unreviewed-how-faq/470594-installing-vmware-player-opensuse-12-1-a.html#post2425489

and everything seemed to install fine except this command: *

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all* <ENTER>

I get an error that says “Failed to setup build environment”

I can still open VMware Player but I get a VMware Kernal Module Updater pop-up that warns several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel and goes on and says “Kernel headers for version 3.7.10-1.1 were not found. If you installed them in a non-default path you can specify the path below.”

I am offered to enter a location, and if I designate a location or just hit enter I get the following error:

“C header files matching your running kernel were not found. Refer to your distribution’s documentation for installation instructions.”

On 2013-03-28 01:46, jjopen97 wrote:
> I tried to do it this way, but nothing happened after I cut and paste
> step 1 above. I mean I did it in the terminal, but there was no response
> or msg after I did it, but I know that sometimes that is normal so I
> figured maybe it was okay.

Did you perchance copy-paste the first ‘#’ char? If you do that, the
entire line is taken as a comment and not executed.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

dah, dah, dah…

yes, i am sure that is what i did.

All good here. Was able to install VWware Player. Thank you everybody for help and patience. Sorry to anybody that I chose VMware Player over Virtualbox. I had to choose one or the other and I just went with VMware Player for no reason other than @Segemta provided C & P instructions, but I’ll try vb at a later date. Thanks again!!

Cheers

First I’m real happy to hear I helped! I hope that you enjoy using VMware player for a long time!
Second don’t be sorry about your choice that’s what Linux is all about! CHOICE! :wink: