CUPS not properly printing multipage documents on SUSE 11.4

CUPS 1.4.6.70.1 (note label of version number might be wrong) on my suse 11.4 linux machine with a canon pixma mp460 printer and gnome desktop does not properly print multipage documents when asked to. The second page and subsequent pages include an overwrite of another page and are unusable. Looks like previous page is printed on top of current page. I have seen this problem referenced elsewhere on the internet, e.g., linux questions w/o reasonable fix.

Current solution is to print docs one page at a time and all works well but this is more than inconvenient.

Note my CUPS package is as downloaded from SUSE 11.4 repos and packman repos per standard software management tool. Note also that the version number label of 1.4.6.70.1 was transmitted using software management from SUSE and doesn’t look like a proper version number based upon CUPS version sequence.

I’ve posted this message on CUPS forum and received notice that this version is 3rd party software and not theirs and they have no responsibility. I assume then that the version is really from SUSE. That is why I am posting message at SUSE forum.

I have found and made a change to increase ghostscript memory by pasting a line into the cups conf file. That has not solved the problem even after stopping are restarting cupsd service.

Please advise if there is a solution for this or whether some later version or patch has addressed this issue.

Thanks,

I have openSUSE 11.4 here. YaST tells me that the OSS repo has CUPS version 1.4.6-6.1-i586. And there is an update for it on the Update repo 1.4.6-7.8-i586. There is none on Packman.

I wonder where you got yours from when you say you only use standard (that is OSS, nonOSS, Update) and Packman repos.

1. Yes, a bug report is probably in order here:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/index.cgi

1. Another possible approach you could try is using Linux drivers for the MP160, available from Canon’s website:

IJ Printer Driver Ver. 2.70 for Linux (rpm Package for MP160)

Canon are notorious for their lack of Linux support for their hardware, so YMMV. I don’t own/use Canon printers, so don’t have direct experience of installation, but have assisted a few others here over the years. Anyway, this is a (not very recent) Ubuntu-based guide, but the approach still applies. (Just ignore the Ubuntu-specific steps). Download and install the cnijfilter-mp160-2.70-1.i386.rpm. (Usually cnijfilter-common-2.70-1.i386.rpm is also required). It’s available from here. You’ll need to install it first. IIRC, the compressed file contains the required RPM. You’ll then need to reconfigure your printer via

http://localhost:631/admin

Even if this doesn’t work for you, maybe you could try selecting the included MP160 driver, and see if that makes a difference to the printing behaviour you’re experiencing. Good luck.

If all else fails, consider using drivers from TurboPrint. (You can try the trial version for free).

On 2011-08-04 21:26, deano ferrari wrote:
>
> 1) Yes, a bug report is probably in order here:

Not for a non suse version.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On 2011-08-04 21:26, deano ferrari wrote:
>
> 1) Yes, a bug report is probably in order here:

Not for a non suse version.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Yeah, well we don’t know that, so common sense applies…

CUPS 1.4.6.70.1 (note label of version number might be wrong)

tckosvic, did you fix your problem? If so, how? Or are you still looking for a solution?