Creative Instant Webcam not working with Skype

Using Opensuse 11.3 (on an AMD64bit machine) and the latest version of the 32bit Skype package for Opensuse. Installed via links on skype.com (inc. mentioned dependencies on the skype website)

Sound works fine but my webcam doesn’t. It’s a creative webcam instant model number: VF-0040.

from an lsusb I get: ID 041e:4034 Creative Technology, Ltd Webcam Instant.

from dmesg I get:

1.766022] usb 7-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
1.947622] usb 7-1: New USB device found, idVendor=041e, idProduct=4034
1.947625] usb 7-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,

SerialNumber=0
1.947628] usb 7-1: Product: WebCam Instant
1.947630] usb 7-1: Manufacturer: Creative Labs
7.529757] input: zc3xx as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.1/usb7/7-1/input/input6
7.529897] usbcore: registered new interface driver zc3xx

It works OK in Kopete, and is recognized as ZC3xx. In Skype the only webcam option is /dev/video0 which I can clearly see is not correct.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance?

Seb

Why do you say:

In Skype the only webcam option is /dev/video0 which I can clearly see is not correct.
?

Does kopote allow you see the actual Linux device ‘/dev/video…’ or does it just say Device: ZC3xx?

You can test your webcam with MPlayer, if you have that installed, with a command that does allow you to define the Linux device directly, e.g.

mplayer -tv device=/dev/video0 tv://

should output the webcam stream in a window.

In Skype, when you log on to your account and then go to Options -> Video Devices, does it say on the Select Webcam button ‘/dev/video0’ or something like ‘ZC3xx (/dev/video0)’?

From what I have read, your webcam and mine come under the same class of GSPCA driver. See this link:

HCL:Web cameras - openSUSE

I found following the recommendation about installing the 32bit V4L driver compatibility package ‘libv4l-32bit’ and then pre-loading that for the Skype command:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

finally got mine working correctly.

You should also check you have access to ‘/dev/video*’ by making yourself a member of the video group.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile: