Create virtual VISTA on OpenSUSE 11

Hi:

I tried to install windows vista as virtual machine on OpenSuse 11. When I click on specify the source, a window come out with two options virtual disk and the PXE. When I choose the mounted point for the vista DVD under /mdedia and click on open, it is keep opening the folders on the DVD. I am not sure what to do next. I assumed it would let me pick the DVD drive and the virtual machine creation pull the data from there. However, it looks like is looking for specific file. What should I do for specifying the source of the OS?

what are you using as the VM?

I was using the XEN and the VM creation was going through YaST/Virtualization/Create Virtual Machines

sueyentsai wrote:

>
> Hi:
>
> I tried to install windows vista as virtual machine on OpenSuse 11.
> When I click on specify the source, a window come out with two options
> virtual disk and the PXE. When I choose the mounted point for the vista
> DVD under /mdedia and click on open, it is keep opening the folders on
> the DVD. I am not sure what to do next. I assumed it would let me pick
> the DVD drive and the virtual machine creation pull the data from
> there. However, it looks like is looking for specific file. What should
> I do for specifying the source of the OS?
>
>
Have you looked at virtualbox? I used it, I downloaded the SUN version since
I need usb support (OSE version has no usb support and thats what the
openSUSE 11.0 dvd contains. After installing Vbox, I installed WINXP and
then TurboTAx with no problems. VBOS handles my usb requirements, cdrom
andd DVd and floppy fine. IE works and outlook express work. The manual on
the SUN site did mention VISTA.

Russ
Linux register user 441463

I strongly recommend you try VirtualBox from the YaST repository or VMware. If you are new to virtualization, VirtualBox will most likely be easier for you. Xen is an enterprise-class virtualization tool that is much more complex to install and manage, even with the help of YaST. There is a howto for VirtualBox, and the VirtualBox manual on its website is excellent.

Even better, VirtualBox OSE is now included with openSuSE 11.0 (cost - none). The only quibble is that you must add the account from which the VMs will be run to the vboxusers group (via the account manager); this is atypical from VirtualBox practice in Windows. Except for support for certain operating systems, I largely prefer VirtualBox to VMWare because of the cost factor (none) and, surprisingly, that VirtualBox cooperates better when running Linux-on-Linux, not just Win32-on-Linux (the one area VMWare trumps VirtualBox in is with versions of Windows NT older than 4.0, such as 3.51 WS) or Windows-on-Windows.

Even VBox OSE supports Vista (I’ve actually run a Vista VM within openSuSE), though I prefer XP, or even Windows 2000, if I’m going to run a a VM based on Windows newer than NT 4 in a VM (my quibble with Vista in a VM is with how non-Aero Vista looks, not the processor or RAM requirements, which aren’t that far above those of XP; and that’s not the fault of VirtualBox, as I have the same quibble equally with VMWare and even Parallels).

Thank you a lot. I will switch to virtual box. I am migrating myself to Linux and getting rid of Windows. I figured, I would still need some windows and VISTA is the only one I have on my hand (otherwise the xp would be my preference too). Set up windows under virtual machine would be handy for situation I need one or two piece of the windows stuff.

I have a question after your recommendation. Since I already have Xen installed. Can I just go to YaST and remove the Xen from there then install the Virtual Box instead?

I don’t see why it would be a problem. Just make sure you’re not using the Xen kernel now. When you get to installing VBox, pay extra attention to the VBox Additions; without those, you lose a lot of functionality. The VBox website has the user manual. It really pays off to take the time to read the chapters up to the VBoxmanage section, which you probably won’t need. And since you’re installing Vista in it, be mindful of the RAM allocation for it vis-a-vis your openSUSE host.

I got Virtual box installed. The VISTA runs well with the additions. No more booting the machine for just small piece of things has to be done in windows only. Thank you a lot.

You’re quite welcome. Glad to have been of some help. :slight_smile:

One of the problems with VMware and Virtual Box is that the virtual machines only have a max of two (vmware) or one (virtual box) CPU available. If you have a dual or quad-core system, you can’t do multithreaded apps to gain speed, so it’s a little like going back to single-CPU machines… I’m wondering if Xen has this limitation. Mingus - do you know the answer to that?

Yes, Xen supports SMP in the guest.

For typical desktop usage on a multi-core machine, the single core allocated to the vm guest should be adequate. For a SMP guest, I would just add that for those apps where a second core will make a difference, the other hardware components must be adequate, too, e.g., the amt of RAM that can be allocated to the guest.