Create & delete folder on NTFS, Get full control on NTFS,

Guys, i know english a little bit.
However, here a solution for NTFS full control permission.
Today I searched here for “How to create & Delete files or folder on NTFS”. No helpful result found.
Then I reseach it & get the solution.
I have two account on my opensuse 11.3.

1. Root
  2. Ishan
    well. . . Just follow my instruction to solve the problem.
  3. Login to root
  4. Goto filesystem
  5. Properties the “media” folder
  6. Permission ->Owner-> click ur username “ishan” “ishan” is my username u just choose ur username
  7. Folder access-> “create and delete files”
  8. Close the window use “close” button.
  9. Logout
  10. Again login to “root”
  11. Goto->yast->partitioner
  12. Double click on ur Ntfs drive.
  13. Edit-> do not mount partition (mark)->finish

if u want to do more ntfs partition to full control then go to another partition & mark “do not mount partition”-> finish
11. Click next-> then finish

take 2 or 3 second (depend to ur pc config) for work.
Ok.
12. Just give a restart
13. Login with ur username “ishan”
14. Just see ur ntfs drive is already mounted on desktop with full control
15. Enter to ur drive & use with full control

u get full control on NTFS.

Thanx.

My pc config:
core2dou e7200
320gb, 2gb.
Netbook: celeron, 160gb, 1gb

both r using opensuse 11.3 & windows 7.

Sparkle24 wrote:
> 1. Login to root

are you saying to, from the green log in screen, log into KDE, Gnome,
or other desktop environment as root?

no, do NOT do that, ever.

instead, always log into KDE/etc as yourself and become root as needed
by launching the needed tool with root powers…for example, i guess
in step two below you mean to open Dolphin (if using KDE) or Nautilus
(if using Gnome)…so, do NOT log into the desktop environment as
root, but instead:

• hold down alt and press F2, in the run command which pops up type
    and enter

kdesu dolphin (if running KDE) or
gnomesu nautilus (if running Gnome)

then follow your steps (but i do not know if they work or not, because
i have no windows hee)…but do NOT log into KDE as root.

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Hi Sparkle24. Welcome to the openSUSE forums and thanks for sharing your method. I’ve got two comments to add.

• Regarding logging on as root:

I agree with DenverD here. It’s a bad idea for new users to log on as root because it’s dangerous in that environment with the powers and permissions that attach to the root user. It’s so easy to accidentally damage your operating system or damage/delete your data.

However, I don’t see anything wrong with new users logging on as root provided they are fully aware of the dangers.

Of course, seasoned users know the dangers very well. I log on as root only very occasionally, not because it’s dangerous but because the alternative way (using kdesu or gnomesu) is actually faster and less complicated, by a long shot. When I began using Linux I must have reinstalled the operating system thirty times or so during the first year - because I borked it so often by doing things like logging on as root and other experiments.

• Regarding the method of Sparkle24 for getting write access to NTFS drives:

I haven’t given it a trial run but just from reading it I don’t much like this method because it’s so convoluted. The developers have already built great default methods for handling NTFS into the code for Linux and openSUSE.

There are two frequent situations. One is when an NTFS portable drive is attached and the other is when an NTFS partition exists on an internal drive. Sparkle24 is probably talking about external, portable NTFS drives because he focuses on the /media folder (where portable drives are mounted by default).

Mounting plug-in drives: Portable drives are made writable by simply clicking the icon for the drive. When you click the icon, code comes into play that automounts the external drive into the /media folder and makes it fully controlled by the user who clicked the icon. The “icon” to click is found in KDE’s system tray (devices recently plugged in) and in Gnomes the mounting is automatic.

Unmounting plug-in drives: KDE and Nautilus both have a sidepanel called “Places”. Use F9 to switch “Places” on or off. The mounted external dive is visible there and the mounted USB NTFS drive also. You can right-clcik the icon and select to “safely remove” just as in windows.

Internal partitions are a different matter and are not the subject of Sparkle24’s howto. For internal NTFS partitions, see here: HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE

Thank U Swerdna

Oops. . .
Sorry. . . I don’t notice it.
Guys, u r right. I know “root” mode is very danger.
But if user login to “root” for only one time, & work like a expert then no file or folder to damage.

In ubuntu By default Ntfs mounted on “media” folder & user can get full permission on “media” folder. But in opensuse (gnome) user get “media” folder as “read” permission. In opensuse ntfs (internal hard disk) by default mounted on “windows” folder & get only read permission and protable media or flash drive mounted on “media” folder as full control.
But why???

Guys, some new linux user don’t want use terminal. Coz linux’s codes r very difficult & they think that one mistake can damage their OS or hard disk.

In linux it called “root”
in microsoft windows it called “Administrator”.
Administrator account enabled by default on microsoft. People use Administrator account for solve their OS problem, give permission, create user account, install software. . Etc. . .
In linux, we can use “root” for give a permission. Not for permanent use. If “root” don’t give u permission to “create or delete folder” so how can u do ???
U can break permission by “crack or hack”. R u want to do that ???

Guys, here I use “root” for give a folder permission & unmount drive. No more work, not for permanent use.

If i’m worng then plz tell me the right thing coz i don’t want to live in worng.

Thank u guys for replies. . .

Off topic: Which OS personally use Mark Zuckerberg ?

Having full read write to ntfs might not always be a good idea. The uninitiated might easily nuke a windows installation.
Typically, you wouldn’t have that kind of access in windows itself.

One of the great weaknesses of Windows is it’s running at admin level. Users in windows should create a user account: that will require admin password for software installation etc…

As for the other questions you raise. I struggle to comprehend you. I think we have a language barrier.

Try asking a simple question rather than interposing it with subjective comments.