CR48, 12.3, black screen upon boot - but suspend/resume fixes it...??

Hello! I just put OpenSUSE 12.3 on my CR48 with the Gnome desktop. I did all of my updates and ran zypper up and zypper dup. On this particular laptop, each time I boot up I get a black screen - nothing else. The backlight to the laptop is on though. If I close the laptop (thereby suspending it) and waking it up again, the screen resumes as if nothing ever happened. Any thoughts on what I could do?

Also - I noticed with 12.3 (versus other distros I’ve tried) that my fan seems to stay on full bore with OpenSUSE. Eh?

Video chip???

**Graphics: Intel Corporation Pineview Integrated Graphics Controller

**I thought I heard this was part of the N10 chipset?

For what it’s worth I was playing around with boot settings. noacpi and nomodeset did nothing. In fact, nomodeset removed my GUI when coming back from suspend - so if anything it was a step back. I hit “e” during boot to remove nomodeset. Now I’m back to no GUI on fresh boot, but GUI + 100% fan on resume from suspend.

I didn’t see a way to edit my rather recent post. But now that I have the laptop I ran lspci (the above was a Google search for what the CR48 has). The VGA entry reads:

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller.

Well that should work. It seems a backlight problem. Seems to me there are some posts on that.

Unfortunately I know nothing about that so maybe some else may jump in.

Do you think it would be the backlight though if the backlight is on? I can clearly see that the screen is lit up. It’s just blank.

Sounds like a driver issue then but Intel driver should be ok since it is now part of the kernel.

If you press esc after selecting the boot do you see the text boot?