CPU fan noise

BTW, any BIOS settings for your fan(s)?

Thanks, deano_ferrari, the BIOS has only “Fan Always On” which is set to “Enabled”. Normally when I turn the computer on it is quiet but then suddenly it starts up getting fast and noisy. When I check watch sensors which sends temperature updates every 2 seconds it starts already at 27 or 28 degrees.

Try disabling that, but watch the temperatures carefully while testing.

I will do this tomorrow morning although I am a bit wary about the results. BTW there is no newer BIOS on the HP website.

Disabling the “Fan always on” setting shouldn’t impact the ability for the system to regulate via the temperature sensor(s).

An old HP thread, discussing similar…

BTW, based on what you posted so far it’s not likely that you can control the CPU fan (no PWM controls reported), so your choices may be restricted to the options available in the BIOS. Others, please feel free to chime in here.

OK - I have now the computer running with “Fan Always On” set to “Disabled” for about 2 hours. THe CPU temperature is around the 40 degrees most of the time. 3 times it went up to 80 degrees and the fan cut in to bring it down to 40 degrees again. Previously the fan seemed to run already fast at 27 to 28 degrees and never reached above 40 degrees.

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +39.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +37.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:        +38.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:        +37.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:        +38.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Since it states that critical is at +100 degrees it is probably OK. I must say I have no experience except for some fanless minicomputers in my network that get too hot to touch sometimes, but this never caused any problems (too hot to touch would probably be between 50 and 60 degrees since you can touch it quickly without burning your hands). So unless someone here in the forum says it is better for the computer to run cooler I will leave it at that (but will still be monitoring the temperature for the next time).
Thanks for everyone who tried to help!

Well excessive heat can obviously lead to failure, (or shorten the lifetime of various components), so some would play it safe and suffer the “always on” fan to keep a lower overall system temperature. Both Intel and AMD release guidelines for recommended processor heat dissipation, but the temperatures you mention seem fine to me. Modern CPUs have thermal throttling functions built in and will shutdown at worst case to prevent permanent damage.

In case this layman’s article is of interest to you…
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pc-operating-temperatures-hot-hot/

Thank you, deano_ferrari. When I wanted to click the star it told me to spread some reputation around before giving it to you again. Therefore this post to show my appreciation.

All good - glad to have been of help.