Corrupt update?

Hello there. I’m fairly new to the world of Linux and I’ve had some problems with it everytime I use the security updates. I’ve installed openSUSE on my laptop about 3 times now and the flash videos on the Firefox works fine after the first install but stops working after I install the security updates. Is there anyone out there who’s had the same problem or am I just being an idiot.

Obviously this shouldn’t be the case.
Did you ever try working through a fix on it?

I would if I knew how. It’s just a bit odd as it only seems to be the flash video that seems to be affected. I don’t know if it’s the Firefox update that did it or the flash update itself.

Are you in the corrupted update situation now?

Usually we work through issues in the forum where everyone can chip in with comments and ideas. How is it that flash stops working, does it show a blank grey/white instead of the video. Or does firefox crash…??

Yes it’s got the corrupt update now. For example on Youtube it brings up the notice “An error occured, please try again later” on most others it just brings a black box where the video is. But no the firefox doesn’t crash.

I tried last time to just un-install everything to do with Firefox and install it again but it refused to install ‘MozillaFirefox-translations-common’(?).

Are you using the mozilla repo. If not try adding it. Follow this:
Keeping Firefox and Mozilla Apps Right up to date.

What about flash in other browsers?
Opera is available in the repos. If you use KDE, konqueror can be used to test flash.

I’ll be crashing for sleep soon so I apologise in advance if I seem to vanish.

Where is your Flash-Player from? Please post the output of

zypper se -si flash-player

Works okay on Opera.

Try following this link I gave earlier

zypper se -si flash-player

?

Did that, and then realised that I have no idea on how to copy that info to here. :dont-know:

Done the repo thingy. Let you know tomorrow on how that worked.

As a sidenote do either of you guys know how to set up a USB 2.0 Cardbus. Got one of those PCMCIA cards with 4 USB ports but it isn’t working.

Copy and paste with your mouse only.

USB2. Don’t you have usb2 built in?

Well the version I’ve got has only one USB port which I’m currently using with Wi-Fi dongle.

S | Name | Type | Version | Arch | Repository
–±--------------------±--------±----------------±-------±-----------------------------------
i | flash-player | package | 10.1.85.3-0.1.1 | i586 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82
i | flash-player | patch | 3170 | noarch | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82
i | flash-player | patch | 2895 | noarch | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82
i | flash-player | patch | 2713 | noarch | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82
i | pullin-flash-player | package | 11.3.1-2.1.1 | i586 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82
i | pullin-flash-player | patch | 2715 | noarch | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82

Flash looks OK as far as I can see.

This usb thing is it a PCI card slotted in the mobo?

Well, as it is I’m using Opera now to good effect. Did the repo thing with Firefox, still get the same thing. Video on there doesn’t work but it is working on Opera.

The USB cardbus is actually working now, so quite happy with that.

I have to say, it’s very odd for firefox not to work.
Especially if you try and new .mozilla and it still fails.

I honestly don’t recall a time when Firefox didn’t work (except on odd times when I have been testing stuff)

Un-installed all flash players bar one and it seems to have worked but now when I bookmark something I get this:

Assertion Failed

ASSERT: node must have _DOMElement set
Stack Trace:
0:PMV_nodeIconChanged([object ResultNodeClassInfo])

Assertion Failed

ASSERT: parent node must have _DOMElement set
Stack Trace:
0:PMV_nodeInserted([object ResultNodeClassInfo],[object ResultNodeClassInfo],6)
1:insertBookmark(2,[xpconnect wrapped nsIURI],-1,Football365 - Football News, Views, Gossip and much more…)
2:PCIT_doTransaction()
3:doTransaction([xpconnect wrapped nsITransaction])
4:placesTxn_doTransaction([xpconnect wrapped nsITransaction])
5:doTransaction([xpconnect wrapped nsITransaction])
6:PCH_bookmarkPage([object XULElement],2,true)
7:PCH_bookmarkCurrentPage(true,2)
8:oncommand([object XULCommandEvent])

When I cancel the bookmark it says

Assertion Failed

ASSERT: parent node must have _DOMElement set
Stack Trace:
0:PMV_nodeRemoved([object ResultNodeClassInfo],[object ResultNodeClassInfo],6)
1:removeItem(358)
2:PCIT_undoTransaction()
3:undoTransaction()
4:placesTxn_undoTransaction()
5:undoTransaction()
6:SU_cancelButtonOnCommand()
7:oncommand([object XULCommandEvent])

And one more question, has Linux always been this wasteful with battery power? Is there anything I can do except tweak those very few commands in Power Management?

There seem to be plenty of options to make powersavings but I don’t use them. I get plenty of life from my battery, I just dim the screen a little, that’s all.

Not sure what’s going on with your bookmarks though.

On 2010-11-16 00:06, JudasDisciple wrote:
>
> Un-installed all flash players bar one and it seems to have worked but
> now when I bookmark something I get this:
>
>> ASSERTION FAILED
>>
>> ASSERT: node must have _DOMElement set

Firefox?

That’s a bug. Report to appropriate channel.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Another little problem has occurred. The sound stutters when I watch AVI files, whether its with VLC or Banshee.