Cool, except...

I have installed SUSE 11.0 twice now in a dual boot config with XP. Looks nice. Works nice. Except for the fact that I can’t get the printer to print, or the scanner to scan, or the sound system to make sounds, and besides that suspend doesn’t work. Other than that it’s great.

Would I have better luck by buying the dvd rather than using the downloaded CD method? I doubt it but I’m open to suggestions. When I tried out Ubuntu I didn’t have any of these issues except for suspend didn’t work there either. Thank God all of this stuff works in XP.

I remain,
Stumped

EXCEPT you don’t say what Printer / Scanner / Sound Card

Have you used Yast - Hardware to try and configure?

Suspend: We would need to know more about your system, kde3 or 4 or gnome? kernel ver.?
sys specs

You may well get a better pick up of some hardware using the dvd, but often it will still need config in yast

There is an audio troubleshooting guide here:
SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

There is a guide for scanners (under YaST) here:
YaST/Modules/Scanner - openSUSE

Did you check the Linux openprinter page for your printer:
OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

Yes, it would be better IF you took advantage of the Novell phone line help that comes with buying the DVD. If you ignore the help, then it would not make any difference.

The best thing to do is what you did now, which is post here asking for help from the various forum volunteers. If you want a quicker response than the forum, install “xchat” and go to freenode, and then IRC #suse using the online chat help for assistance from the various forum volunteers. There is also the mail lists.

Now if I may be permitted, I’ll remove my tech support hat and put my moderator hat on. … PLease, in future, could you use a more descriptive subject. We all think there are many things in life that are “cool, except …” there is a downside. Your title does not help in getting the attention from the experts that might be needed to solve your openSUSE problem.

In this case, I would have recommended 3 separate posts:
(a) need help with openSUSE-11.0 printer model-xxxxx to print
(b) need help with openSUSE-11.0 sound card-xxxx for basic sound
(c) need help with openSUSE-110.0 scanner model xxxxx to scan

Good luck. Hopefully everyone likes to read a post that says “Cool, except …”.

On 2008-08-04, Stumped <Stumped@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> I have installed SUSE 11.0 twice now in a dual boot config with XP.
> Looks nice. Works nice. Except for the fact that I can’t get the
> printer to print, or the scanner to scan, or the sound system to make
> sounds, and besides that suspend doesn’t work. Other than that it’s
> great.

Posting what printer/scanner/sound you have would allow people to help.

> Would I have better luck by buying the dvd rather than using the
> downloaded CD method? I doubt it but I’m open to suggestions.

No, don’t think so.

> When I tried out Ubuntu I didn’t have any of these issues except for
> suspend didn’t work there either.

That means there are Linux drivers out there. Again, had you specified what
driver you needed, someone might have pointed you to then.

>Thank God all of this stuff works in XP.

Mmm, no. Thank Al Capone for perfecting a business model, inpiring Bill
Gates. It made sure that most hardware manufacturors would include a driver
for the various releases of Windows, while avoiding to make one available
for another OS.

:slight_smile:

The sand remembers once there was beach and sunshine
but chip is warm too
– haiku from Effector Online, Volume 1, Number 6

Thanks for the advice. I hope that you Linux-heads understand how incredibly frustrating it is for a newbie to attempt to get these systems working as advertised.

FYI, after the third reinstallation, I was able to get sound working. I had to twiddle with so many things that I’m not sure which particular change made a difference. Could be the removal of PulseAudio, whatever that is. As it is, alsa is still not working, only OSS. But that’s ok for now as I really am more interesting in solving the printer problem. I will take your advice and start a new, descriptively title thread on that one if I can’t figure it out in the meantime.