Controlling case fans with software and not BIOS

Hi everyone,

This is my first time really maining any distro (I have a raspberry pi but used it for very light samba file hosting). I decided to main this distro after all the chaos happening with Windows.

I had previously used Fan Control to control my fan curves and I would like to have that ability on linux. I installed a couple different apps which requires PWM, so I changed them over from DC to that. But after running lm-sensors they still don’t show up and only my CPU, GPU, and NVME are detected.

My motherboard is the MSI B450-A Pro

Is there something I am missing?

@toweringdoor so you ran pwmconfig to setup your fans? Have you run as root user sensors-detect --auto is it detecting a chipset in the output, perhaps post the output as well.

So, running pwmconfig only detects my AMD gpu fans

Found the following devices:
   hwmon0 is nvme
   hwmon1 is nvme
   hwmon2 is amdgpu
   hwmon3 is k10temp
   hwmon4 is hidpp_battery_0

Found the following PWM controls:
   hwmon2/pwm1           current value: 255

sensors-detect --auto output

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.

Driver `k10temp' (autoloaded):
  * Chip `AMD Family 17h thermal sensors' (confidence: 9)

No modules to load, skipping modules configuration.

Unloading i2c-dev... OK
Unloading cpuid... OK

Ok, I realized my case fans aren’t actually PWM fans. But I am now questioning how the other app I used had worked with these fans and if there’s some app that supports these fans. I previously used Fan Control on windows.

@toweringdoor that depends, some use systems use the management engine, which since it’s not reverse engineered won’t work on Linux…

Is this an AMD system?

You also trimmed the output, so can’t see if there are any other relevant sensors present on your system, but either no driver or you need some extra option foo to get them to work.

Yeah this is an all AMD system. sorry I just left for work so I won’t be able to post any more info till later