Constant Problems with Repositories

Recently, I decided to give the new milestone of LEAP 42.1 a try. I fully understand it is still far from finished, but I already managed to properly install the nVidia drivers (from openSUSE 13.2 community repos) and my Broadcom bcm4322 chip is somehow supported by openSUSE’ kernel 4.1.6-9-desktop’s module b43. Alas, I am having some severe problems with repositories. I am constantly (though not always!) getting the ‘Valid metadata not found at specificed URL’ error for the leap42.1 non-oss and update repositories.

I am a bit at a loss, because I really like openSUSE, but it seems to be literaly plagued with repository issues I have not seen in any other distribution so far (and I have used most of them…).

Is this a known issue? Will this be fixed? Alternatively, what does that error exactly mean and how to fix it?

Those repos don’t exist yet, they will only created when Leap 42.1 is released.

There’s no point for an update repo anyway before there’s actually a release for which updates can be published…

To “fix” it, you could disable or remove those repos in YaST->Software Repositories.

You said you knew that Leap was far from finished but you some how expect all the repos to be finished? :open_mouth:

You should not be using leap for a normal everyday OS it is too much in flux. Sure test it out, play with it but you should not rely on it. It is not done.

Why does the installer then even recommend those repos? There is no warning that the repos don’t exist whatsoever, merely a non-specific error, which could also mean that there is a problem with the GPG key or due to a misconfigured hardware clock the GPG key was signed ‘in the future’.

As suggested, for the time being I will use the release 13.2 repos. What about the leap 42.1 non-oss repos? Do they also not exist?

For me that is clear enough. This a “work inprogress”. And of course the dev responsible for the installer is not going to alter parts of the installer temporary to accomodate what you want. That part is apperently fnished for the definitive version. Other parts are not.

Noted. Sorry for my previous grumpiness, but I had a lot of problems with my MacBook and for a moment I was slightly too happy that things immediately worked. As I mentioned earlier, I switched the repositories to release 13.2. From those I managed to install a couple of packages and everything is back to normal. I will follow news on Leap 42.1, but I will not the make the mistake of assuming it works flawlessly :). Thank you very much for your input and sorry again!

On 2015-09-19 20:06, Atsuri wrote:

> I will follow news on Leap 42.1, but I
> will not the make the mistake of assuming it works flawlessly :).

Do you expect to live in a house while it is being built? No? But the
builder may ask you to go inside, find the faults and tell him.

This is the same. The house is not finished, and there are ropes and
boards in the paths. You must know where they are, don’t ask the builder
to remove those ropes now :wink:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

A good analogy, but in this case it seems to be at least 5 hours past its “Use by date”, and even longer past a “Sell by Date”. Perhaps you missed his apology…

Completley superfluous post. The statement was made and clearly understood by the OP. No need to hassle him with it again.

Bad points for you.

On 2015-09-20 10:46, consused wrote:

> A good analogy, but in this case it seems to be at least 5 hours past
> its “Use by date”, and even longer past a “Sell by Date”. Perhaps you
> missed his apology…

No, I did not; I simply thought he still did not fully understood what
was going on.

Nor do I think he needs to apologize.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

[QUOTE=robin_listas;2729137]On 2015-09-20 10:46, consused wrote:

> A good analogy, but in this case it seems to be at least 5 hours past
> its “Use by date”, and even longer past a “Sell by Date”. Perhaps you
> missed his apology…

No, I did not; I simply thought he still did not fully understood what
was going on.

We all think the case is clear enough. Plerase stop harrassing people!

[QUOTE=robin_listas;2729137]
Nor do I think he needs to apologize.

Nobody asked him for that. No need for you to add this stupid remark.

Please keep out of this thread.