Connection problem

I have installed openSuSE 11.1 on an advent 9315 intel duo laptop with SiS integrated controllers (which, I understand, are somewhat notoriously bad with Linux). I had to use “acpi=off” and “noapic” to install.

I cannot connect reliably or consistently to the internet. In particular I cannot add repositories (the process times out when trying to refresh repositories) or register (as the registration process requires refreshing repositories).

Using Firefox I can connect to a limited number of sites (including the google home page) but I cannot connect for example to the openSuSE pages (or, as another example, to BBC website chosen as an arbitrary but otherwise suitable candidate to attempt connection). I cannot spot any consistency about which web pages will work.

I cannot find a description of a similar problem on existing thread using a variety of search terms.

I would be grateful for any advice. The laptop is currently unusable as I cannot download applications as I cannot connect to repositories.

By the way, when attempting to connect to internet sites that will not connect, the browser hangs at the “transferring data from …” phase (that is, it passes the “waiting for …” phase - I hope that this information might help someone with insight to guess what the problem might be). There is no timeout from the browser, it just goes on and on and on … etc (failing to load).

pathematica wrote:
> By the way, when attempting to connect to internet sites that will not
> connect, the browser hangs at the “transferring data from …” phase
> (that is, it passes the “waiting for …” phase - I hope that this
> information might help someone with insight to guess what the problem
> might be). There is no timeout from the browser, it just goes on and on
> and on … etc (failing to load).

Have you disabled IPV6?

I have now and that seems to be working, thanks. (At least for connecting to the net with Firefox - I will try the repositories and post again later).

Thanks again.

Repositories work. I have taken off and I am now flying, thanks.