Connection Issue

Hello,

I have an issue with my main computer on openSuse 11. I don’t know what happens but it seems that the system “gives up” connecting to servers too quickly, the symptoms are the following:

• when doing updates via yast or zypper, I’m promted to retry/ cancel/ignore at some packages
  • have to refresh webpage that have lots of photos embedded to have them loaded
  • using BOINC (distributed computing) some working unit cannot be uploaded without a manual retry.

And this is not the connection itself as my laptop under XP in wifi works just fine.

that coputer is connected directly to a ADSL Modem/Router with wifi support.

Any clue to what it can be ?

• VeauX wrote, On 10/23/2008 12:06 AM:

> Any clue to what it can be ?

Try and disable IPv6. Else it could be anything. IMHO you are pretty much lost without a good trace of the IP traffic.

Uwe

And This is the first I checked… I disabled ipv6 time ago without luck…

Thinking about the issue, with BOINC, it appear it is only when the system is locked for inactivity, maybe o power saving feature that don’t listens to the traffic and do not reactivate the nic because when II put my pass I see all those problems and after for example actualizing a webpage, the boinc transactiona resume by themselves…

For the webpage loading issues it does not follow a pattern… unfortunately

• VeauX ,

so, it maybe more problems. Try disabling powersave for the NIC. IMHO it doesn’t make sense on anything but a mobile device.

Uwe

thanks for following up buckesfeld, I appreciate it.

I’m not that familiar with openSuse, where is the powersave configuration? in Yast2?

thanks

• VeauX wrote, On 10/24/2008 11:26 PM:
    > thanks for following up buckesfeld, I appreciate it.
    >
    > I’m not that familiar with openSuse, where is the powersave
    > configuration? in Yast2?

Nope. I was thinking of the BIOS. You could check the KDE Personal settings or whatever it is called in Gnome, but I canot recall an explicit setting for NICs there.

Uwe