Connect two PCs with Ethernet cable

Dear Experts

I am trying to connect two laptops via ethernet cable (no modem/router).
One has leap 15.1 (fresh install) and the other has opensuse 13.1.

What I did so far to both was:

1. At network manager I added a “new wired connection”.
  2. Set link-local at IPv4 and IPv6.

But scp doesn’t work.

When I ping the address corresponding to each pc, obtained running

ip a

it is successful though.

What am I missing?

Hi
Likely ssh not running and/or firewall not open…

@phaethon:

Given, only a cable connecting the Ethernet ports of the two machines and, no other network connection and, a private IP address assigned to each machine, then:

1. A secure transfer mechanism isn’t needed – there’s only the 2 machines in the private network.
  2. “ftp” should work OK provided that, the target machine has the “vsftpd.service” (and “socket”) enabled and running.
  3. “telnet” should also be OK provided that, the target machine has the “telnet-server” package installed and, the associated systemd service and socket is enabled and running.

Please, do not only tell stories, but show. E.g. not only say “ping obtained running”, but show the complete ping command and output, then we can see for ourselves if that is OK or not. Same for “ip a”, please show what the output is. only the command tells us nothing. Example:

henk@boven:~> ping -c1 10.0.0.138
PING 10.0.0.138 (10.0.0.138) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 10.0.0.138: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.522 ms

--- 10.0.0.138 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.522/0.522/0.522/0.000 ms
henk@boven:~>

Hmmm been a while but does not a direct connect without a hub or switch require a special cable. reversing TX/RC lines??

I would add that “ip a” doesn’t test any connection, it only displays the machine’s own network settings.

Additionally,

• If you’ve connected a patch cable directly between two machines, then one or both machines needs to auto-sense and if necessary flip the signals. Otherwise, you need to replace that patch cable with a crossover cable or plug patch cables from both machines into a switch or hub.
  • as for using a secure transfer or not, it won’t make a difference but SCP is convenient to use (if your networking is working).

To verify you have everything configured properly you should post
Each machine

ip addr
ping other_machine's_IP_address

Then, other commands you run would be optional provided the above commands return working details.

TSU

Basicaly yes, but modern NICs adapt to that. And as the OP says, ping is successfull, so no worry about that.

Thank you all for the replies.

I managed to do it, after setting up the firewall in Yast:
I changed the interface to external and added ssh daemon to both.

then I started shh with

sudo rcsshd start

and it worked like a charm!

( in the beggining I had only to set an new wired connection and set IPv4 -6 to link local, at both laptops)

Cheers!

tried with ipv6

i am working to connect ethernet and internet which need for only my office …i had ips

Mohan
http://www.beyond404.com/index.html

It depends:

• If a 10 Mbit/s Ethernet and a Co-Axial cable – 10BASE2 of 10BASE5 – then, no need for a crossover.
  • If a twisted pair 10 Mbit/s or 100 MBits/s Ethernet (TIA-568A RJ45 connectors) then, you’ll either need need a crossover cable to enable one TIA-568B RJ45 connector or, the Network Interface Card (NIC) has implemented Auto MDI-X – automatic crossover.
  • If a twisted pair and Gigabit Ethernet – 1 000 MBits/s and more – a crossover is not needed at all because, all four cable pairs are used for simultaneous transmission and reception in both directions.

Just like with good old POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service – simultaneous speech in both directions over a single pair of wires), there’s a piece of hardware named a “hybrid” which handles the signal direction.