conkyconf

Hello

I’ve got into dependecy hell with conkyconf which needs conkyweather and x11org-font-utils which I can’t find. I’ve tried to install through opensuse oneclik but no luck. has anyone any idea as to what is needed and where I can get the dependecies for conkyconf. This is the only thing that pees me off about linux (dependencies), wish it could be fixed. Still better than windows where there’s no chance at all if it don’t install.

thanks for any help

from what source are you trying to install from?

Well … I’m afraid it’s entirely my fault. However I updated conkyconf today, which is now expected to create a consistent .conkyrc for both conky 1.8.0. and conky 1.8.1 versions (depending from which repo you installed conky. See the bug described in this post: conky 1.8.1 vs conky 1.8.0 - regarding lua support..)

So that you can decide if this program is for you before installing it, I will briefly explain what it does. conkyconf is a bash script (not a GUI tool!) which creates a conky system (/etc/conky/conky.conf) or user ( ~/.conkyrc) configuration file after gathering some information from your system. The package includes a lua script (lua is a programming language) which provides APIs that add features to conky (like the ability to color bars in gradient and to gather info about your system on the fly or at conky’s start). The typical ~/.conkyrc created by conkyconf can be seen in the post I linked above.

conkyconf depends on conky and conkyweather. conkyweather is another script I did package (but did not write) and is in the same repo as conkyconf. So it should be automatically installed together with conky. Only the Fedora version requires xorg-x11-font-utils. So I don’t understand why you’re having this dependency problem - didn’t say that it is not my mistake though. Both conkyconf and conkyweather require conky, however, which is NOT in my repo. As soon as you have either the contrib repo or the server-monitoring repo installed, conky should also get installed with conkyconf. Of course, if conky is already installed, it’s fine too.

To install conkyconf, you can add my repo and install the package:

su -l
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/please_try_again/openSUSE_11.4/  PTA
zypper refresh -r PTA
zypper in conkyconf

To create the basic ~/.conkysrc, just type:

conkyconf

To see a short description about the options, type:

conkyconf -h

To add weather info and forecast for Austin,TX, use:

conkyconf -wf -g Austin,TX

To read this forum’s RSS feed, add the option “r”

conkyconf -wfr -g Austin,TX

Notice that horizontal text scrolling is buggy in 1.8.0. It got fixed in 1.8.1 by introducing another bug, which broke parsing of new lines. So I don’t know which conky version in better. Version 1.8.0 makes a better usage of the lua script, therefore uses a smaller ~/.conkysrc and is more consistent. You should install version 1.8.1 if you intend to read an RSS feed.

The default refresh interval is 1 second - which is nice to read an RSS feed but too high in most cases, as conky will permanently use 1 to 3% of processor resources. You can change the refresh rate any time, by running conkyconf with the option -i followed by a value with optionally one decimal place.

Set the refresh rate to 5 seconds:

conkyconf -i 5 

Set the refres rate to 0.1 second (!!!):

conkyconf -i 0.1 

You might also want to deactivate conky wrapper autostart or replace the following line in /etc/xdg/autostart/conky.desktop:

Exec=conky.sh

with

Exec=conky

Starting conky with conky.sh only makes sense when switching between KDE and other desktops, because KDE handles transparency differently.
The script compositor is also included in conkyconf. It can be used to switch compositing (and therefore transparency) on and off under any desktop environment. Compositing needs to be on (this is the default) to get conky transparency under KDE.

Hi
Have you tried conkyforecast, rather than conkyweather?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop
up 1 day 12:04, 5 users, load average: 0.09, 0.09, 0.13
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 280.13

I don’t remember. I tried several ones, including the conky internal one (${weather}). But I like the icons (actually a ttf font) in conkyweather. I also slightly modified the code and added a lua function to modify the icon color (meaning the font color) depending on the weather condition, as shown in the 3 examples below:

conkyconf -wf -g London,UK

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9374/forecastlondon.png

conkyconf -wf -g Sydney,AU

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3053/forecastsydney.png

conkyconf -wf -g Victoria,BC

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7181/forecastvictoria.png

In order to post examples and find snow in the middle of summer, I’ve been trying many locations … and ended up blacklisted from Google weather site. lol! which reminds me that I should at least read the weather info once for the many computers here and keep weatherInfo.xml on a server in lan.

Actually conky 1.8.0 from contrib has METAR and XOAP weather support unlike version 1.8.1 from server:monitoring .

Conky 1.8.0 compiled Tue Mar  8 17:48:39 UTC 2011 for Linux 2.6.36 (x86_64)

Compiled in features:

System config file: /etc/conky/conky.conf
Package library path: /usr/lib64/conky

X11:
  * Xdamage extension
  * XDBE (double buffer extension)
  * Xft
  * ARGB visual

Music detection:
  * MPD
  * MOC

General:
  * math
  * hddtemp
  * portmon
  * Curl
  * RSS
  * Weather (METAR)
  * Weather (XOAP)
  * wireless
  * support for IBM/Lenovo notebooks
  * eve-online
  * config-output
  * Imlib2
  * ALSA mixer support
  * apcupsd
  * iostats
  * ncurses
  * Lua

Lua bindings:
Conky 1.8.1 compiled Thu Mar 10 15:15:05 UTC 2011 for Linux 2.6.36 (x86_64)

Compiled in features:

X11:
  * Xdamage extension
  * Xft
  * ARGB visual

Music detection:
  * MPD
  * MOC

General:
  * math
  * hddtemp
  * portmon
  * Curl
  * RSS
  * wireless
  * eve-online
  * config-output
  * Imlib2
  * apcupsd
  * iostats
  * ncurses
  * Lua

Lua bindings:

nvidia support would be nice but is missing in both versions.

Hi
It’s in my version, nvidia-settings is ok to build as it’s released
under GPL.

up 3 days 11:25, 3 users, load average: 0.21, 0.21, 0.15

Hi Malcolm,
Do you mean that you have a built of conky whit nvidia support? In which of your projects?

I meant something like that (the ouput below is from Ubuntu’s conky 1.8.0):

Conky 1.8.0 compiled Fri Apr 23 10:42:08 UTC 2010 for Linux 2.6.24-27-server (x86_64)

Compiled in features:

Package library path: /usr/lib/conky

X11:
  * Xdamage extension
  * Xft
  * ARGB visual

Music detection:
  * MPD
  * MOC

General:
  * math
  * hddtemp
  * portmon
  * Curl
  * RSS
  * Weather (METAR)
  * Weather (XOAP)
  * wireless
  * support for IBM/Lenovo notebooks
  * nvidia
  * eve-online
  * config-output
  * Imlib2
  * ALSA mixer support
  * apcupsd
  * iostats
  * ncurses
  * Lua

Lua bindings:
   * Cairo
   * Imlib2

Hi
It’s in my Python one;

Conky 1.8.1 compiled Sat Mar 26 03:14:20 UTC 2011 for Linux 2.6.36
(x86_64)

Compiled in features:

X11:
* Xdamage extension
* Xft
* ARGB visual

Music detection:
* MPD
* MOC

General:
* math
* hddtemp
* portmon
* wireless
* nvidia
* config-output
* Imlib2
* apcupsd
* iostats
* ncurses
* Lua

Lua bindings:
* Cairo
* Imlib2

So what ones do you want added? I’m guessing the weather ones?

up 3 days 13:00, 5 users, load average: 0.11, 0.12, 0.14

I looked everywhere except in Python. I should have guessed. :wink:

I don’t need the weather ones - since I use conkyweather. I was just mentioning the differences between the two versions. I would like to branch your version into my repo, so that it will get installed together with conkyconf. I’m also going to add an option in conkyconf to monitor the graphic card temperature on nvidia systems (I tried under Ubuntu, it works). If I branch conky from your project, does it become a separate package or does it get rebuild when you update the package?

Further, do you have any comment on this bug: conky 1.8.1 vs conky 1.8.0 - regarding lua support. Because of that, versions 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 of conky behave totally differently (parsing new lines in 1.8.1 is broken) and I’m sure that many people would find version 1.8.0 better. I’m trying to support both versions in conkyconf. For example if version 1.8.0 is found, conkyconf generates this:

${lua_parse getfs 7fff00 white}

and the lua script finds out the mounted filesystems and displays them.

while if version 1.8.1 is used, it generates that (because conky can not parse the string returned by lua):

${if_mounted /}${color3}/${goto 80}${alignr}${color4}${fs_used /}${color}/${alignr 10}${color5}${fs_size /}${goto 200}${alignr}${lua_parse fsbar / 7fff00 white}${endif}
${if_mounted /usr}${color3}/usr${goto 80}${alignr}${color4}${fs_used /usr}${color}/${alignr 10}${color5}${fs_size /usr}${goto 200}${alignr}${lua_parse fsbar /usr 7fff00 white}${endif}
${if_mounted /local}${color3}/local${goto 80}${alignr}${color4}${fs_used /local}${color}/${alignr 10}${color5}${fs_size /local}${goto 200}${alignr}${lua_parse fsbar /local 7fff00 white}${endif}
${if_mounted /var}${color3}/var${goto 80}${alignr}${color4}${fs_used /var}${color}/${alignr 10}${color5}${fs_size /var}${goto 200}${alignr}${lua_parse fsbar /var 7fff00 white}${endif}
${if_mounted /home}${color3}/home${goto 80}${alignr}${color4}${fs_used /home}${color}/${alignr 10}${color5}${fs_size /home}${goto 200}${alignr}${lua_parse fsbar /home 7fff00 white}${endif}
${if_mounted /srv}${color3}/srv${goto 80}${alignr}${color4}${fs_used /srv}${color}/${alignr 10}${color5}${fs_size /srv}${goto 200}${alignr}${lua_parse fsbar /srv 7fff00 white}${endif}
${if_mounted /misc}${color3}/misc${goto 80}${alignr}${color4}${fs_used /misc}${color}/${alignr 10}${color5}${fs_size /misc}${goto 200}${alignr}${lua_parse fsbar /misc 7fff00 white}${endif}

One can see the advantage of the first code: it can be used on any machine since my lua function determines the mounted filesystems on the fly (actually only once during conky initialization), but it would be possible to do it every time, so that mounted/unmounted filesystems appear/disappear when conky refreshes . It uses significantly more resources though.

There is now a complete Howto about conkyconf in the Unreviewed How To and FAQ subforum.