configuring X in 11.1

Hi there –

I completed an upgrade of a 10.2 system to an 11.1 version. The upgrade, for the most part, completed successfully. However, I am unable to start X except
while in fail-safe mode.

I did a search for XFree86Config, but I did not readily see it available. What are my options for getting X to work properly? Thanks.

Take a look in /boot/grub/menu.lst in the failsafe stanza on the kernel line, at the kernel arguments. In 11.1 there is 1 (maybe 2?) that are X specific. Try using that in the Boot Options on the grub menu. If that doesn’t solve the problem, try the other arguments one at a time. It is probably one of the arguments on that failsafe line that is enabling X to work in failsafe mode.

It could also be that you have an ati or nvidia video card. If so d/load and install the ati drivers from ati’s website (instructions are on ati’s site or in a thread on this board) or for nvidia add the repo to yast and install the drivers in yast’s software.
If neither of these, try using running sax2 as root from a console and configure the card.