Configuring fallback graphics and fallback wireless internet

OK, I’ll give you my situation and what I’m trying to achieve, so somebody can hopefully advise me as to how to achieve it.
I’m on a laptop with an ATI 1200 graphics card which uses the proprietary fglrx driver and my only connectivity is via a wireless Broadcom 4328 card (no ethernet available). What’s the most reliable way of achieving the following:

• configuring an easy-to-use fallback mechanism to log in to the GUI when the ATI driver breaks due to an update or I experiment with alternate drivers and X won’t start (i.e. a mechanism that will log me in using a fallback framebuffer driver or vesa or whatever, and which will do that automatically or with a minimum of user intervention)
  • configuring wireless internet connectivity when access to the GUI is impossible/broken/undesirable i.e. NetworkManager (I’m using KNetworkManager since I’m on KDE3.5.9) is not running. This would imply activating wireless in runlevel 3 and installing a good text-only browser such as lynx.
    Any ideas?

Bumpster!!!

If you boot up sometime and discover nothing but a black screen with a log in prompt, here’s the procedure. Maybe print this out and keep it handy just in case, it might save you from a reinstall.

sax2 -r -m 0=radeon

Or if you have an Nvidia card:

sax2 -r -m 0=nv

Or if you have another brand or the command above does not work for some reason:

sax2 -r -m 0=vesa

At least you will have a desktop now, so whatever repairs or modifications you have to make will be much easier.

As far as the wireless fallback configuration, I don’t know the answer to that, assuming there is one.

Thanx. I’ll write that down, hoping I’ll never need it…:slight_smile: