Configuring Canon PIXMA MP510 under openSUSE 11.3

The weird thing now is: I can scan from the command line with scanimage, but neither xsane nor skanlite works: skanlite starts scanning and stops after 17%. xsane can even do full previews, but when I press “scan” it says “operation was cancelled”. Any idea what that could be?

The only thing I can think that might be worth trying is to add your device ID to /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf like this

usb 0x04a9 0x1717

Some sane config files have a comment like

For any system with libusb support (which is pretty much any recent Linux distribution) the

following line is sufficient. This however assumes that the connected scanner (or to be more

accurate, it’s device ID) is known to the backend.

usb

So, if your model is not already known to the backend, it might help. But its just a guess on my part.

No, this didn’t help. However, I found the following thread, and it describes precisely the problem I am encountering. But the discussion and the proposed fix are way above my head…

I have now installed the sane-frontends package in order to be able to use xscanimage which, for the bit of scanning I usually do, should be alright…

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I guess I would stop at this point and be happy about my working scanner and xscanimage.

Thanks again to you, deano_ferrari, you did a great job!

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I guess I would stop at this point and be happy about my working scanner and xscanimage.

Thanks again to you, deano_ferrari, you did a great job!

The compliment is appreciated - thank you. You could try submitting a bug report to Novell, and this may speed up any fix downstream, but it looks like from the bug report link you provided, that its currently getting fixed by the sane developers.

Hopefully, this fix makes it into 11.4!

I have a Canon MP270 printer/scanner configured to work with Suse 11.2.

The packages are available from the Suse package repositories accessed via the Software Management tool in Yast. Just search for “scan”.

Two packages are picked up.

scangearmp-common - ScanGear MP Ver.1.40 for Linux
scangearmp-mp270series - ScanGear MP Ver.1.40 for Linux

Install these then excute “scangearmp &” from the command line. This brings up the scangear app.

These mp270 drivers may not work for the mp510 but try it.

@padraigfionnagain: These packages are not in the standard 11.3 repos. They can be downloaded from the Canon site however, but if you’ve been following this thread, they do not appear to install well (libpng version issue for example).