Configure KDM

OpenSUSE 12.2 - KDE

Hi there!

I am trying to change KDM’s login screen (Configure Desktop → Login Screen → Theme). Altough I am able to choose another theme, confirming with root password, I always get back to the default one.

I furthermore installed successfully some more themes (Get New Themes) but they aren’t available in the theme selection.

Is there any problem with KDM?

By the way, is it possible to activate a sound file for KDM and not just after entering KDE?

I know you can change the KDM theme using yast. Go into yast, go to /etc/sysconfig Editor. Search for kdm and go to the option DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME. Change the value to the theme you want and click ok. You might need to restart kdm before the theme takes effect (not sure).

On 2013-01-26 20:46, nightwishfan wrote:
>
> I know you can change the KDM theme using yast. Go into yast, go to
> /etc/sysconfig Editor. Search for kdm and go to the option
> DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME. Change the value to the theme you want and
> click ok. You might need to restart kdm before the theme takes effect
> (not sure).

I remember a thread in the opensuse mail list, IIRC, where he tried that
and many other things, none worked. You might look there for ideas.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

I think what you actually do is go to **DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME **and delete openSUSE which will then allow you to configure kdm via KDE (configure desktop)

I have heard though that doing this breaks other things so it is something you would need to be aware of. I guess the kdm theme is locked down by yast for a reason.

I remember having a similar problem. Please review my thread; hopefully it’s useful.

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/480469-cannot-edit-kdm-config.html

This gets asked quite often here’s how it’s done:

1. go to kde-look.org Look under kdm themes find one you like say one called ZXcity
  2. download save the tar.gz
    3)Unpack it in a folder say “my Kde Kdm themes” In this case you’d look for zxcity
    4)As root either c & p or move the folder to /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/ after that’s done close
    5)Open Yast go to the /etc/sysconfig Editor
    6)Desktop>Display manager>DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME
    7)Delete the theme in there type in your theme in this case zxcity click the OK’s
    Done!

You can check this FAQ https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/unreviewed-how-faq/480861-how-replace-kdm-branding-opensuse-12-2-polished-one.html

Worked out perfectly this way.

Thanks to all for the DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME hint…