I haven’t seen that message in any of the documents a search turned up. At that point the modem is supposed to CONNECT within 30 seconds. It seems to want to read something from a boot media. What version is the kernel on your SLED? Is it at least 2.6.20? Have you got a valid SIM in the device? Also did you by any chance let the software in the virtual CDROM inside the 220 execute by booting up with it plugged in? (Probably shouldn’t, but it shouldn’t be Linux software anyway, usually Windows. But it could also be the ISP’s way of software-locking the modem to their service only.)
PS: I don’t actually have an E220 so I won’t be much help, but I’ve been reading about it because some of the plans offered by local ISPs are tempting but the word on the street is that the service can be flaky. But this is a digression.
Kernel version is 2.6.16? is that the problem ? I have valid sim as i have used this same device on ubuntu & it works perfectly fine. I have tried to make it work with & without plugged in while booting up the os … but still it gives me same error. Ahhh can it be still possible that sled still identifying it as cd rom thats y. Today morning when i tried to dial it again i got a new error as under
→ WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
→ Cannot get information for serial port.
→ Initializing modem.
→ Sending: ATZ
→ Sending: ATZ
→ Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
→ Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,“IP”,“data.tre.dk”
→ Modem initialized.
→ Sending: ATDT99#
→ Waiting for carrier.
→ Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
→ Starting pppd at Sun Sep 21 08:54:32 2008
→ pid of pppd: 3339
→ Disconnecting at Sun Sep 21 08:54:32 2008
→ The PPP daemon has died: pppd options error (exit code = 2)
→ man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
→ I guess that’s it for now, exiting
→ The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 2)
According to the documents I have read, and which you would have seen if you had done a search, the usbserial driver that can handle this device was only introduced in 2.6.20. If you have 2.6.18 or 19, you can patch the usbserial driver and recompile it. Earlier than .18, you would have to upgrade the kernel. That would explain why it worked under Ubuntu, it probably has a recent kernel.
I think something is wrong on your query strings.
But again, they are in some part, operator dependent …
My attempts also failed a lot on me, for the most part it was a problem with the configuration.
I also could only make my connection work with control of the ethernet devices shutdown and not using networkmanager.