Computer won't boot up

I had Windows 7 installed to my laptop, and wanted to install openSuse. I shrank my main partition and wound up installing Suse to that from a flashdrive. Everything looked fine. But when I shutdown my computer and turned it back on, it just sat at the HP screen. I tried pressing Esc to open the boot menu, but it doesn’t do anything.

As far as I can tell, I’m screwed. But is there anything I can do to fix this?

We don’t know what happened, what changes you made, if any, and what default selections were made by the openSUSE installer. What we do suggest is you download, create and boot from a LiveCD and see if it works first, to determine if your hardware is compatible. At this point and if you have a working computer of any kind, which you must, create and boot from a LiveCD and run a terminal command called fdisk -l, posting the results here. If we assume you got a good boot disk and the boot does not work on your Laptop, you could indeed be screwed, but if it does work and based on the fdisk output, we could propose further solutions to fix your booting problem.

software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.1

Thank You,

How am I supposed to boot from a Live CD when I can’t open the boot options?

Something is seriously wrong. If you can’t get to the BIOS options, something is really wrong.
I hope you have the full BIOS on CD or floppy.

Hi
Isn’t it F10 or F11, F1 or F2 should go to BIOS setup

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop
up 5 days 3:42, 4 users, load average: 0.09, 0.10, 0.07
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Not on an HP. At least, not on mine. I have to push Esc to enter startup options, and from there press F9. But I can’t even get there because Esc isn’t doing anything. So is there literally nothing I can do? Is my computer completely dead?

Why not give us the full computer model number and any other hardware info you have. Its possible something failed at the same time you were doing an install. A Computer boot might hang if the hard drive has failed for instance. But, if faced with a hard drive that can not boot, your BIOS should report no operating system is found and you should be able to access your BIOS setup no matter what. So, having a fully dead PC is not a symptom of a failed installation of openSUSE, but give us more hardware info and we can look it up. On some, I have seen where you must remove the main battery, leave it out for five minutes with no power connection, then put the battery back in and plug the computer into the wall, if its a laptop computer, but just what you would do depends on the exact hardware that you have.

Thank You,

I know it’s an HP G62-144DX and the serial number is CNF0153535.

I don’t know anything else about the computer’s hardware, but nothing is connected to it except the power cord.

It might also be important to mention that after installing OpenSuse, I was actually running my computer for a while. The installation seemed to work great and I was setting everything up. But I decided to take a break and fool around in Windows for a while, so I powered off and went to turn it back on. That’s when this whole issue started.

Thanks for being patient with me, by the way. I won’t know what to tell you unless you tell me what you need to know, but I do appreciate the help.

According to this

Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS HP G62-144DX Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (Canada - English)

you press f10 key to get to the BIOS

If that does not work it is a hardware failure nothing to do about OS’s of any flavor

I don’t know what to tell you. Pressing F10 doesn’t work, but it never has. I’ve always had to press the Esc key before pressing any of the F keys. Either way, I did try all the F keys, and nothing managed to work.

So I guess something’s probably up with the hard drive? Any way I could test to make sure?

If you can not boot it no, outside of putting the drive in another machine. But if you can’t get to the BIOS then It is something on the mother board rather then the drive.
If the machine has a CD/DVD drive try booting from that if it can boot from a USB drive try a bootable USB

If none of the above work then the machine has died call HP for service.

Yeah, it doesn’t seem like it will let me boot from anything unless I can get into the startup menu.

But I’ll explain exactly what I did so you guys know what I did to mess this up. First I went into my start menu and searched partitions, so I could change those. When I was first installing openSuse told me it was going to format all of my partitions, so I backed out to change those manually. I shrank my largest partition, which has the Windows operating system on it by the maximum it allowed (16,142 MB or something like that. It was a little under 16 gigs). After doing that openSuse told me it was going to install to sda6, I believe, and when I checked the memory of the partitions it seemed to match up. And when I went to install it, it didn’t say that it would format my partitions. I figured that this meant I was good and everything would install fine, and it definitely appeared to. I didn’t change any settings or anything, but instead just installed everything as default from my flash drive using the 4.7 GB DVD download for a 32 bit PC (mine is a 64 bit, but I wasn’t paying attention).

Anyway, I’ll give them a call in the morning and let everyone know what they have to say.